About This Chapter
Team Absenteeism & Discipline - Chapter Summary
In this corporate training course, professional instructors present information about team discipline and absenteeism for supervisors. In a training workshop or at their own pace at home or during working hours, your supervisors will learn about the effects of absenteeism in the workplace, considerations for employee discipline and ways in which discipline can be used to improve performance. Each lesson includes a short self-assessment quiz to ensure comprehension of what was brought forth in the lesson.
How It Helps
- Offers guidance: Viewing examples of different kinds of employee discipline policies will help supervisors create and maintain policies that will work for their unique situations and needs.
- Eases conflict: When dealing with the inevitable issues of employee discipline, your supervisors will know how to more effectively handle sensitive situations to the betterment of all involved.
- Provides compliance: You'll have confidence that your supervisors are handling any disciplinary issues and conflicts that may take place in the organization within the proper legal parameters.
This chapter is designed to help supervisors understand how to:
- Define workplace absenteeism and turnover, and explore its effects
- Detail the considerations for employee discipline
- Execute and communicate employee disciplinary policies
- Use employee discipline to improve performance
- Outline the legal considerations for employee discipline
1. Absenteeism and Turnover in the Workplace: Definition & Effects
Employee absenteeism and turnover can be serious problems for organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn about absenteeism and turnover, their impact and what can be done to reduce their occurrence. A short quiz follows.
2. Employee Discipline Policy: Definition, Considerations & Examples
Creating and maintaining an employee discipline policy is key for a good business. This lesson will provide the definition of such policies as well as considerations to keep in mind when disciplining employees.
3. Communicating & Executing Employee Discipline
Although employee discipline can be challenging, having a set framework to execute discipline will help smooth out the process. This lesson provides an overview on that framework and how to communicate effectively with employees.
4. Using Employee Discipline to Improve Performance
Employee discipline doesn't have to be a dirty word. This lesson explores the nature of the discipline process, and it will outline specific positive and negative methods of reinforcement.
5. Legal Considerations for Employee Discipline
The laws relating to employee discipline are complex and convoluted. This lesson explores some of the most common legal considerations when engaging in employee discipline.
6. Practical Application: Creating an Employee Discipline Policy
Employee disciplinary policies help employers maintain a safe and reliable workplace, but they also give employee an opportunity to improve their behavior before adverse job consequences are necessary.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Team Building Skills for Supervisors course
- Team Types, Characteristics & Roles
- New Teams & Team Members
- Team Goals, Objectives, Charters & Plans
- Leadership Styles & Skills
- Coaching Models & Strategies at Work
- Leading Team Meetings
- Team Communication & Delegation
- Team Motivation & Rewards
- Team Conflict & Problem Solving
- Team Assessment & Improvement