About This Chapter
Team Building & Development in Hospitality - Chapter Summary
Prepare your employees for entering a hospitality management career by having them review the lessons included in this chapter. Each of these lessons will cover essential topics related to the significance of, and methods for, building and managing teams in the hospitality field. Employees can go over these lessons to learn about topics such as:
- The definition and analysis of the work team
- The importance of team building in hospitality
- The qualities and examples of effective teams
- Business group decision-making techniques
- How to launch an effective workplace team
- Team development stages
Each lesson is taught by an experienced instructor who will share his or her expertise with your employees in relation to these particular areas. The chapter also offer you helpful practice quizzes that will allow employees to make sure that they understand each of the topics covered in the chapter.
How It Helps
- Defines concepts: These lessons will provide employees with comprehensive overviews of concepts needed to effectively develop teams in the hospitality profession.
- Provides examples: By offering helpful examples of the team-building concepts discussed in the chapter, these lessons will allow employees to more easily understand and implement these strategies when working with teams on their own.
- Teaches techniques: Employees can review these lessons to get helpful techniques for building and developing teams in their own hospitality careers.
Once employees have completed each of these lessons, they will be able to:
- Analyze the fundamentals of work teams in contemporary business
- Recognize the characteristics of effective work teams
- Implement good decision-making in groups
- Develop successful teams in your own workplace
1. The Work Team in Contemporary Business: Definition & Analysis
Contemporary business has thrived with the use of work teams in creating products, solving problems and developing alternatives. There are many ways that work teams add to the productivity and success of a company.
2. The Importance of Team Building in the Hospitality Industry
Team building is more important than ever in the hospitality industry. This lesson describes four types of teams and discusses why team building is important in the hospitality industry.
3. Characteristics of Effective Teams: Examples and Qualities
Effective teams can contribute heavily to the success of an organization. This lesson explores the key characteristics that make teams effective in the business world. You'll see an example of each characteristic and learn about underlying, supportive aspects of effectiveness.
4. Techniques for Group Decision-Making in Business
Group decision-making is where a group of individuals are brought together in hopes of determining a solution to a problem. The three types of group decision making are nominal, Delphi technique and brainstorming.
5. Launching a Successful Team in the Workplace
In this lesson, we'll learn about launching successful teams in the workplace. Teamwork is very important in the business world and can drive the success of a company.
6. The Stages of Team Development
You've noticed that many companies are moving toward working in teams. How do they do it? What does it entail? This lesson explains what to expect from team development and how to work through each stage.
7. Self-Directed Teams: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
There are many types of teams found in different business organizations. In this lesson, learn about the advantages and disadvantages of self-directed teams.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hotel Management Training course
- Organizational Change in Hospitality
- Management Functions
- Contemporary Leadership & Management Theories
- Continuous-Improvement Processes & Methods
- Organizational Behavior & Hospitality Management
- Communication in Hotel Management
- Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Cultural Diversity in the Hospitality Industry
- Ethical Issues in the Hospitality Industry