About This Chapter
Team Communication & Delegation - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, your supervisors will study a variety of concepts related to team delegation and communication. These expertly taught lessons show supervisors the practical benefits of delegation in the workplace, as well as useful team communication techniques.
The chapter comes with short quizzes, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions your supervisors may have. We've ensured that the chapter is accessible 24/7, which means that your supervisors can study the material whenever they have free time in their schedules.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter helps supervisors become more aware of essential team communication and delegation strategies.
- Strengthens team performance: By applying these strategies, your company's supervisors should be able to boost the performance of their work teams.
- Improves delegation skills: Supervisors who study these lessons can strengthen their delegation abilities.
By the end of the chapter, supervisors should be able to:
- Explain how team-based organizations communicate
- Discuss factors that affect team and group communication
- Provide constant and clear feedback to employees
- Prepare for team communications
- Use effective listening techniques in the workplace
- Outline the process of delegation within teams
- Recognize the ways in which delegation can empower teams and drive high performance
- Define the concept of reverse delegation
1. Communicating in Team-Based Organizations
The key to successful teams is the ability to communicate effectively. All business teams must learn to communicate, listen, ask questions and offer feedback.
2. Factors Affecting Group & Team Communication
If you've ever been part of a team, you've experienced social communication. Whether it went well or not so well, learning the five main factors that affect group communication can help you be a more effective part of the team.
3. Encouraging Team Member Communication & Feedback
Communication and feedback are two important tools in the workplace. In this lesson, you'll learn more about how to encourage team members to contribute in these two areas by implementing a few simple strategies.
4. Providing Clear & Consistent Feedback to Employees
Providing clear and consistent feedback to employees is a vital function for a successful business. Consistent feedback can be like a roadmap for an employee. It will provide a sense of direction, while informing the employee if they are heading down the correct, productive path.
5. How Leaders Can Prepare for Communication with Teams
This lesson goes over some of the questions you should ask yourself prior to communicating with a team. These questions will help you sell an idea or new direction.
6. What Is Effective Listening in the Workplace? - Definition, Techniques & Barriers
Effective listening skills allow individuals to retain information by showing interest, listening and providing feedback to the other party in the communication exchange. There are specific techniques that will help individuals overcome listening barriers.
7. Delegation Within Teams: Process & Advantages
Delegating work to others is a powerful tool in increasing a company's level of productivity. This lesson will discuss the importance of delegation, its benefits, and the process of delegating tasks to team members.
8. How Delegation Empowers Teams & Drives High Performance
This lesson is going to go over the many ways by which delegation empowers teams. You'll learn about some strategies that leaders can use to empower employees and boost team performance.
9. Reverse Delegation: Definition, Issues & Management
Reverse delegation is a management flaw that can be resolved with a few simple strategies. In this lesson, you'll learn more about this delegation problem, issues it raises, and how management can stop it.
10. Practical Application: Employee Feedback Form
Many supervisors struggle with how to provide feedback to their employees. This form helps guide supervisors as they assess the performance of their employees and set goals for moving forward.
11. Practical Application: Effective Delegation Scenarios
In this guide, you will apply your knowledge of delegation, the act of passing down authority, to hypothetical scenarios, as well as apply this to your current employment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Team Building Skills for Supervisors course
- Team Types, Characteristics & Roles
- New Teams & Team Members
- Team Goals, Objectives, Charters & Plans
- Leadership Styles & Skills
- Coaching Models & Strategies at Work
- Leading Team Meetings
- Team Motivation & Rewards
- Team Conflict & Problem Solving
- Team Absenteeism & Discipline
- Team Assessment & Improvement