About This Chapter
Team Decision Making - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Making decisions in teams can be a complex process involving different techniques and approaches. This chapter gives you a look at the best tools and techniques for decision making in business teams. Instructors use engaging video and text lessons to teach ways teams work together, solve problems and sidestep challenges to make decisions. When ready, test your comprehension of the subject material by taking short lesson quizzes. In this chapter, you'll find topics like:
- Making decisions in groups vs. individually
- Business decision-making techniques
- How successful teams solve problems
- The common sense approach to team problem solving
- Polarization & groupthink in group decision making
|Group vs. Individual Decision Making: When to Use Each||Differentiate between the best circumstances for group and individual decision making.|
|Techniques for Group Decision-Making in Business||Evaluate the different techniques for group decision making in business settings.|
|Problem Solving in High-Performing Teams||Compare the four problem-solving tools used by high performance teams.|
|The Common Sense Approach to Team Problem Solving||Analyze the three main-points of the common sense approach and how to use this technique.|
|Group Polarization in Group Decision Making||Explain polarization in group decision making.|
|Groupthink: Definition & Examples||Explain how groupthink can lead to critical mistakes.|
|Cultural and Ethical Considerations in Group Decision Making||Examine how culture and ethics impact group decision making.|
1. Group vs. Individual Decision Making: When to Use Each
At times an individual makes a decision, and at other times a group makes the decision. In this lesson, we will look at the issues surrounding group versus individual decisions
2. Techniques for Group Decision-Making in Business
Group decision-making is where a group of individuals are brought together in hopes of determining a solution to a problem. The three types of group decision making are nominal, Delphi technique and brainstorming.
3. Cultural and Ethical Considerations in Group Decision Making
Culture and ethics impact how groups interact and, thus, how they make decisions. In this lesson, we will talk about culture and ethics in a group setting.
4. Groupthink: Definition & Examples
Some groups are quick to make decisions to maintain cohesion, but this can be a critical mistake to make. This lesson explains the concept of groupthink using the Challenger explosion as an example.
5. Problem Solving in High-Performing Teams
In this lesson, you'll see how high-performing teams solve problems and learn what makes a good team member. You'll see how they work together and how they solve any personal differences they have with each other.
6. The Common Sense Approach to Team Problem Solving
A successful team works together to achieve a common goal. During this process, teams need to resolve problems together. This lesson will address the common sense approach to team problem solving.
7. Group Polarization in Group Decision Making
Group polarization focuses on how groups usually make decisions that are more extreme than the original thoughts and views of the individual team members. There are two main reasons why group polarization happens within an organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior course
- Overview of Organizational Behavior
- Leadership in Organizations
- Management Process & Strategy
- Diversity & Social Issues in Leadership
- Personality in Organizations
- Attitudes & Values in Organizations
- Perception & Attribution in Organizations
- Employee Morale & Motivation
- Motivation Theory
- Types of Workplace Communication
- Work Teams & Group Behavior
- Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Structure & Design
- Job Design in Organizations
- Organizational & Company Culture
- Business Ethics & Issues
- Change in Organizations
- Globalization & Organizational Behavior
- Required Assignments for Business 307
- Studying for Business 307