About This Chapter
Teamwork in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
Professional instructors provide examples of teamwork skills utilized in the workplace and discuss the importance of communication through the lessons available in this chapter. Managerial, supervisory and professional employees who watch the videos in this chapter will learn the following:
- The role of the work team in contemporary business
- Team-based communications
- Group development stages
- Teamwork skills
These lessons use illustrations and animations to present the essentials of teamwork as it applies to the workplace. Quizzes are connected to each lesson and can be used to help your employees retain the essential info about teamwork they'll need to apply to their jobs. The chapter closes out with an exam to make sure viewers are ready to put these skills to work.
How It Helps
- Improves understanding: Employees who understand how teams work and can identify their role in a team will be able to see the benefits and positive outcomes of teamwork in the workplace.
- Emphasizes communication: By learning how to ask questions, listen to their peers and offer feedback, employees can improve their work relationships and efficiency.
- Encourages team development: Employees who learn to recognize the steps involved in building a team can play an active role in developing or improving their own workplace teams.
- Builds leadership skills: Working professionals who acquire the skills presented in this chapter can guide other employees, lead their own teams and contribute to the success of the company.
After watching the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify the different types of teams found in the workplace
- Use positive communication skills to interact with their colleagues, supervisors and managers
- Recognize the various stages of group development
- Understand and identify the characteristics of effective teams in the workplace
- Implement teamwork skills into daily activities
1. The Work Team in Contemporary Business: Definition & Analysis
Contemporary business has thrived with the use of work teams in creating products, solving problems and developing alternatives. There are many ways that work teams add to the productivity and success of a company.
2. Communicating in Team-Based Organizations
The key to successful teams is the ability to communicate effectively. All business teams must learn to communicate, listen, ask questions and offer feedback.
3. Professional Communication & Collaboration in Healthcare
This lesson will discuss inter-professional teams in healthcare. We will also learn how to use communication to work well as a team and manage any conflict that may arise during our work.
4. Practical Application: Identifying Ineffective Group Communication
Collaboration depends on effective communication. But not every team communicates well. What leads to ineffective communication and what can be done about it? These scenarios help you identify the factors.
5. Stages of Group Development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing & Adjourning
Managers must be able to recognize and understand group behavior at its various stages. This lesson explains Tuckman's five stages of group development, including forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning.
6. Practical Application: Stages of Team Development
Bruce Tuckman created the 5 stages of team development. Following these five stages as a team leader can lead to more productive team meetings and teamwork. This infographic can help.
7. Characteristics of Effective Teams: Examples and Qualities
Effective teams can contribute heavily to the success of an organization. This lesson explores the key characteristics that make teams effective in the business world. You'll see an example of each characteristic and learn about underlying, supportive aspects of effectiveness.
8. Teamwork Skills in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In today's modern corporate world, developing teamwork skills in the workplace has become a necessity. In order to survive such a competitive environment, companies need to promote a workplace that emphasizes teamwork.
9. Team Building in Healthcare: Methods & Impact
Healthcare leaders are tasked with constructing the most successful teams to meet today's challenges. This lesson investigates team building from the top down through the organization, with tips for choosing and maintaining healthy teams.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Elements of a Cohesive Work Team course