About This Chapter
TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Solving Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides lessons that are designed to develop and strengthen your ability to solve different types of equations. The skills you'll sharpen in this chapter will help you solve the types of equations found on the TECEP Liberal Arts Math test. This chapter will help you practice the following skills:
- Writing and solving one-variable addition equations and word problems
- Solving one-variable multiplication and division equations
- Understanding proportions
- Evaluating math formulas
Each lesson explains the steps required to solve equations and walks you through several illustrative examples. You can practice these skills with the included self-assessment quizzes and make sure you're adequately prepared for the exam.
The Thomas Edison Credit by Exam Program (TECEP) is a registered trademark of Thomas Edison State University, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Writing & Solving Addition Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to properly write an addition equation and how to solve any addition equation that you come across. Learn what the steps are to solve these equations that have one variable in them.
2. Writing & Solving Addition Word Problems with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to write and solve addition word problems. Learn how to read your word problem, write out the algebraic equation, and then solve it for the unknown variable.
3. Writing & Solving Multiplication Equations with One Variable
After watching this video lesson, you will know the components that go into a complete multiplication equation. You will also learn the steps that are needed to solve a multiplication equation.
4. Writing & Solving Division Equations with One Variable
In this video lesson, you will learn the proper format of a division equation. Learn what components are needed for a complete division equation. Also learn what steps you need to take to solve these division equations.
5. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
6. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Critical Thinking
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Sets
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Mathematical Statements
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Numeration Systems
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Real Number Systems
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Divisibility Rules
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Fractions
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Simplifying Expressions
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Graphs & Functions
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Metric System & Conversions
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Geometry
- TECEP Liberal Arts Math: Probability & Statistics
- TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics Flashcards