About This Chapter
TECEP Principles of Statistics: Probability Distribution - Chapter Summary
This chapter defines the terms and concepts related to probability distribution in statistics. With easy-to-understand definitions and practice problems, the chapter helps you prepare for the TECEP Principles of Statistics exam by covering the skills you'll need to answer questions related to:
- Defining normal distribution
- Solving normal distribution problems
- Understanding standard scores
- Finding Z-scores
- Identifing types of random variables
- Interpreting the expected value of a discrete random variable
- Developing discrete probability distributions
- Using dice to find expected values
Our expert instructors will show you how to apply distribution concepts to example problems similar to the types of questions you'll answer on the TECEP exam. You can take the accompanying lesson quizzes to make sure you fully understand the material and supplement your study with printable lesson transcripts.
The Thomas Edison Credit by Exam Program (TECEP) is a registered trademark of Thomas Edison State University, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Normal Distribution of Data: Examples, Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, we'll explore the normal distribution of data. Learn about the characteristics of normal distribution, how to plot histograms, the empirical rule, and more.
2. Using the Normal Distribution: Practice Problems
In this lesson, we will put the normal distribution to work by solving a few practice problems that help us to really master all that the distribution, as well as Z-Scores, have to offer. Review the concepts with a short quiz at the end.
3. Standard Score: Definition & Examples
Standard scores are an easy way to compare scores, making it possible to compare unusual things that are not in the same category. Several IQ tests use multiple tests that are combined into one IQ score.
4. Finding Z-Scores: Definition & Examples
Talking about multiples of standard deviations can get exhausting and confusing. Luckily, z-scores allow us to talk about how far a point is removed from a mean in terms of how many standard deviations away it is.
5. Random Variables: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson defines the term random variables in the context of probability. You'll learn about certain properties of random variables and the different types of random variables.
6. Finding & Interpreting the Expected Value of a Discrete Random Variable
Discrete random variables appear in your life a lot more than you think. You can use expected values to find the probability of a discrete random variable, as shown in this lesson.
7. Developing Discrete Probability Distributions Theoretically & Finding Expected Values
In this lesson, we will look at generating a theoretical probability distribution for a discrete random variable and introduce the concept of expected value.
8. Dice: Finding Expected Values of Games of Chance
This lesson examines the various combinations and probabilities behind rolling dice. We will look at a game of dice and what to expect to win or lose in a game. In addition we will extend these concepts to playing with different sided dice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TECEP Principles of Statistics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Measurement
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Summarizing Data
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Central Tendency & Variability
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Probability
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Correlation
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Regression
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Population, Samples & Probability
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Hypothesis Testing & Estimation
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: t-Tests
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: ANOVA
- TECEP Principles of Statistics: Chi-Square Test
- TECEP Principles of Statistics Flashcards