About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other technical writing work.
- Identify the technical editing and rewriting concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Technical Writing Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about technical editing and rewriting and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the process of proofreading, organizing technical documents, utilizing technology when writing, ensuring that text is grammatically correct, or any other technical editing and rewriting topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their technical writing learning
- Prefer learning about technical writing visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their technical editing and rewriting unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in technical writing
- Don't have access to their technical writing teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make it simple and fun to learn about technical editing and rewriting.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live technical writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about technical editing and rewriting on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discover how to provide clarity when writing and editing technical information.
- Learn about organizational patterns such as importance, chronological and spatial.
- Ensure that technical communication is correct and complete.
- Obtain proofreading skills.
- Discover how to write with conciseness.
- Learn the importance of revisions that enhance readability.
- Explore tips for ensuring that your document is complete.
- Make certain that your writing can be easily comprehended.
- Learn about the organization and sequencing of a technical document.
- Discover the importance of unity in technical rewriting and editing.
- Learn how to follow up and verify information to be sure your understanding is complete.
- Use word processors and other technology when formatting your technical document.
- Discover how to give and receive constructive criticism or feedback.
1. Achieving Clarity in Technical Communication
A lack of clarity in technical documents can lead to confusion and costly mistakes. This video provides tips on how to achieve clarity in technical documents.
2. Organizing Technical Communication for Clarity
People look for patterns in nature, life, and writing. This video explains the importance of using an organizational pattern in technical writing and provides examples of five organizational patterns.
3. Grammatical & Contextual Correctness in Technical Communication
One of the most important jobs of a technical writer is to make sure that the information published is accurate. This video provides tips to ensure that your documents are grammatically and contextually correct.
4. Proofreading Your Message for Spelling, Grammar, Accuracy & Clarity
One of the final stages of completing a business message is to proofread the communication for spelling, grammar, accuracy and clarity by completing different review options. Learn how to proofread in this lesson.
5. Simplifying for Conciseness in Technical Communication
Documents that are long and wordy are difficult to comprehend and often end up not being read completely through. This video provides strategies for keeping technical documents concise.
6. Revising Your Message for Errors, Conciseness & Readability
The three parts of producing a message are planning, writing, and completing. In the completing stage, it is crucial for business writers to examine their message for errors, conciseness, and readability.
7. Achieving Completeness in Technical Communication
Once you've finished writing a technical document, you need to make sure that the information is usable and accurate. This video provides tips on how to make your documents textually and visually complete.
8. Ensuring that Technical Documents Are Easily Understood
In order for our audience to comprehend and act on the information we write, they have to be able to clearly understand what our document says. This video provides tips on how to ensure that our technical documents can be easily understood.
9. Sequence in Technical Documents
Arranging your information in a particular order will help emphasize the points you want to make in technical documents. This video provides tips for creating a clear sequence in technical writing.
10. Organization in Technical Documents
In order for our readers to understand what we are trying to communicate, we must effectively organize our information. This video provides tips on how to organize writing for technical documents.
11. Achieving Unity in Technical Writing
Keeping a document focused on one subject will help improve your audience's ability to comprehend your message. This video contains strategies to help keep your document unified.
12. The Importance of Message Follow-Up
Business communications depends on excellent writing and good message follow-up. In order to get a response for feedback, comments, information or purchase orders there are some suggestions to follow to have a successful result.
13. Using Technology to Help Compose Your Message: Formatting & Effectiveness
An important skill for individuals to develop for the work place is the ability to use technology to compose messages. Word processing software can help improve formatting and the overall effectiveness of your message.
14. Giving and Responding to Constructive Feedback
Giving and receiving feedback in a work environment allows individuals to understand how they are performing in their job. There are suggestions that individuals can follow to better understand how to deal with criticism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution course
- Technical Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of Prewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Documents: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Document Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Informal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Formal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Business Reports and Proposals: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Correspondence: Tutoring Solution
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Instructions: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Manuals: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write Proposals: Tutoring Solution