About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other technical writing work.
- Identify the technical instructions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Technical Writing Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn technical instructions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the content, structure and purpose of technical instructions, the role of ethics, the writing process or any other technical instructions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their technical instructions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in technical writing
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about technical instructions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live technical writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn technical instructions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the content, purpose and structure of technical instructions and their use in problem solving.
- Explore how to consider the audience when creating technical instructions.
- Examine ethics in technical instruction writing.
- Discover how to use the writing process for technical instructions.
- Look at the use of visuals in technical instructions.
- Learn how to evaluate technical instructions using guidelines.
1. Technical Instructions: Purpose, Content & Structure
Technical instructions, also called technical manuals, are an important feature to include with your technology product. In this lesson, we'll examine how the function, content, and structure of technical instructions all work together.
2. Understanding the Audience When Writing Technical Instructions
When writing technical instructions, it's important to first understand who your audience is. In this lesson, we'll examine how knowing your audience can help you improve your technical writing and make it more accessible.
3. Role of Ethics in Technical Instructions
It might seem like writing technical instructions is a pretty clear process with no real ethical implications. But the truth is, there are many ethical considerations when writing technical manuals. Watch this lesson to find out more.
4. The Writing Process for Technical Instructions
Technical writing, like other writing, follows an orderly process. In this lesson, we'll examine the writing process for technical instructions and manuals, including steps that are unique to the technical writing process.
5. The Role of Visuals in Technical Instructions
Visual aids offer many benefits to technical instructions, but they are often overlooked by writers. In this lesson, we'll examine visuals in more detail, including what they are, the advantages of using them, and how to use them.
6. Evaluating Technical Instructions
Making sure that the instructions that go with a product are usable is often just as important as making sure that the product itself is usable! In this lesson, we learn how to evaluate technical instructions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution course
- Technical Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Elements of Prewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Documents: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Document Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Informal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Formal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Business Reports and Proposals: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Correspondence: Tutoring Solution
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Manuals: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write Proposals: Tutoring Solution