About This Chapter
Technical Instructions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Effective technical instructions are integral to understanding what needs to be done. This chapter will teach you the fundamental structure of technical instructions along with what calls for them to be written. Our short video lessons contain real-world examples to help you understand the covered topics, and you have the option to send questions to instructors as needed. As you go through this chapter, you'll get to find out about:
- The problem-solving role of technical instructions
- Taking note of the intended audience when developing instructions
- Ethical considerations that pertain to technical instructions
- Placing visuals within technical instructions
|Technical Instructions: Purpose, Content & Structure||Explore the key elements of technical instructions.|
|Understanding the Audience When Writing Technical Instructions||Examine the importance of writing appropriately according to the audience.|
|Role of Ethics in Technical Instructions||Discover the ethical influences that come into play with technical instructions.|
|The Writing Process for Technical Instructions||Learn about the different stages in the process of writing technical instructions.|
|The Role of Visuals in Technical Instructions||Investigate how visual aids are used in technical instructions.|
|Evaluating Technical Instructions||Understand different checklists that can be used to assess the quality of technical instructions.|
1. Technical Instructions: Purpose, Content & Structure
Technical instructions, also called technical manuals, are an important feature to include with your technology product. In this lesson, we'll examine how the function, content, and structure of technical instructions all work together.
2. Understanding the Audience When Writing Technical Instructions
When writing technical instructions, it's important to first understand who your audience is. In this lesson, we'll examine how knowing your audience can help you improve your technical writing and make it more accessible.
3. Role of Ethics in Technical Instructions
It might seem like writing technical instructions is a pretty clear process with no real ethical implications. But the truth is, there are many ethical considerations when writing technical manuals. Watch this lesson to find out more.
4. The Writing Process for Technical Instructions
Technical writing, like other writing, follows an orderly process. In this lesson, we'll examine the writing process for technical instructions and manuals, including steps that are unique to the technical writing process.
5. The Role of Visuals in Technical Instructions
Visual aids offer many benefits to technical instructions, but they are often overlooked by writers. In this lesson, we'll examine visuals in more detail, including what they are, the advantages of using them, and how to use them.
6. Evaluating Technical Instructions
Making sure that the instructions that go with a product are usable is often just as important as making sure that the product itself is usable! In this lesson, we learn how to evaluate technical instructions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 305: Advanced Technical Writing course
- Basics of Technical Writing
- Prewriting for Technical Documents
- Writing Technical Documents
- Technical Editing & Rewriting
- Elements of Technical Documents
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing
- Informal Technical Reports
- Formal Technical Reports
- Business Reports and Proposals
- Technical Correspondence
- Technical Writing in Business Correspondence
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters
- Writing Technical Manuals
- How to Write Proposals
- Required Assignments for English 305
- Studying for English 305