About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other technical writing work.
- Identify the basic technical writing concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Technical Writing Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn technical writing basics and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding rhetorical awareness, legal and ethical communications, goals of technical writing, types of technical writing or any other technical writing topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their technical writing basics unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in technical writing
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning the basics of technical writing simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live technical writing tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn technical writing basics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn why technical writing is useful and how it differs from other types of writing.
- Study how to write with an audience in mind.
- Find out about the importance of rhetorical awareness.
- Examine ethical and legal communication standards.
- Explore various types of technical documents.
- See why it's important to establish goals in technical writing.
- Look at the steps in the technical writing process.
1. Technical Communication: Definition & Purpose
Technical communication is a part of almost every job. This video provides the definition and purpose of technical communication, and explains why technical communication is important for businesses and consumers.
2. Characteristics of Technical Communication
It is important to understand the characteristics of technical communication in order to write documents that meet the needs of your audience. This video provides the characteristics of the subject, audience, purpose and style of technical communications.
3. Audience-Centered Communication: Description & Effectiveness
Audience-centered communication is a type of communication where a speaker analyzes the audience to determine the content, language usage and listener expectations. It allows effective communication because the speaker can tailor messages to the needs of the listener.
4. Rhetorical Awareness in Technical Communication
When writing technical communications, it is important to take into account the goal, audience, and context of the document you are creating. This video explains how having rhetorical awareness will help improve your communication.
5. Legal and Ethical Communication: Description & Importance
Legal and ethical communication is essential to companies to ensure truthful, accurate and morally-correct decision making. Companies need to give consideration to how they communicate and remain lawful in their day-to-day business activities.
6. Implicit and Explicit Rules of Communication: Definitions & Examples
There are two different rules of communication within a business environment. Implicit communication focuses on the ambiguous areas of gestures, vocal tones and actions, while explicit communication deals with what a person writes or says directly.
7. Types of Technical Documents
There are many different types of technical documents. Which technical document you choose to create depends on your audience and your purpose. This video will explain the three main categories of technical documents and provide examples for each.
8. Establishing Goals in Technical Writing
It's important to establish goals before you begin writing so that you know who you're writing for and what you're writing about. This video provides suggestions for how to establish goals in technical writing.
9. The Technical Writing Process: Prewriting, Writing & Rewriting
Having a plan for your writing will help ensure that you effectively communicate your message. This video provides definitions and strategies for the three steps of the writing process: prewriting, writing, and rewriting.
10. Technical Text: Definition & Examples
Don't worry; we don't have to get too technical to figure out just what a technical text really is. See how easy they can be to deal with in this lesson, where you'll see technical texts defined, as well as a few examples!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution course
- Elements of Prewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Documents: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Editing & Rewriting: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Document Characteristics: Tutoring Solution
- Usability Testing & Technical Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Informal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Formal Technical Reports: Tutoring Solution
- Business Reports and Proposals: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Correspondence: Tutoring Solution
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Tutoring Solution
- Technical Instructions: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Technical Manuals: Tutoring Solution
- How to Write Proposals: Tutoring Solution