About This Chapter
Technological Support for Strategic Decision Making - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your knowledge of technological support for strategic decision making using this chapter's entertaining lessons. Topics covered in the lessons include decision making in organizations and applications of management information systems (MIS). Review these lessons at your convenience using any computer or mobile device, and assess your comprehension by taking accompanying quizzes and a chapter exam. If you develop questions during your studies, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts. When finished with this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and describe specialized information systems
- Explain how managers analyze and internal and external decision support systems (DSS)
- Share the definition and uses of business intelligence (BI)
- Describe how managers use management information systems
- Discuss how executive information systems (EIS) support senior-level decision making
- Provide details about the use of a geographic information system (EIS)
1. What Are Specialized Information Systems? - Decision Support Systems for Business
Specialized information systems have been developed to support decision making in an increasingly complex world. Learn about some of the different types of specialized information systems.
2. Decision Support Systems: How Managers Analyze Internal and External Data with DSS
A Decision Support System is a specialized information system used when a problem is unstructured or when circumstances are uncertain. Learn about the data and models used in a DSS.
3. Decision Making in Organizations
Information systems support decision making in organizations. Understanding the nature of decision making can help in using information systems more effectively.
4. Business Intelligence (BI): Organizing, Categorizing and Accessing Data
Business Intelligence uses specialized information systems to gain a competitive edge in the marketplace. Learn about some of the specific tools used in Business Intelligence.
5. Management Information Systems (MIS): Manager Decision-Making Tools
Management information systems help managers make effective decisions to support ongoing operations within an organization. Learn about the types of reports produced by an MIS.
6. Applications of Management Information Systems (MIS): Financial, Marketing, Manufacturing & Human Resources
Management Information Systems are typically organized around the functional areas of an organization. Learn about some of the most common applications of Management Information Systems.
7. Executive Information Systems (EIS): Upper Management Decision-Making Tools
An Executive Information System is a specialized information system used to support senior-level decision making. Learn how senior management uses an executive dash board to keep a close eye on how well their organization is doing.
8. Geographic Information System (GIS): Using Maps & Locations to Make Decisions
A Geographic Information System uses smart maps to describe geographical relationships. Learn how organizations use spatial analysis to improve decision making.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 316: Strategic Decision Making course
- Introduction to Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Thinking in Making Business Decisions
- Decision Making Models for Business
- Statistical Tools for Decision Making
- Quantitative Tools for Decision Making
- Financial Data for Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Decision Making & Risk Management
- Group Dynamics in Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Decision Making for Managers
- Decision Making in International Businesses
- Analyzing Business Decisions
- Communication in Strategic Decision Making