About This Chapter
Technology in Music - Chapter Summary
Over the past several decades, music has been incorporating technology in a variety of ways. In this chapter, you'll take a look several developments in music technology, such as the history of the synthesizer and the compositional functions of technology. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Assess the history and development of music technology
- Recognize the uses of synthesizers in music
- Explain how technology is used in musical compositions
At the conclusion of each lesson, you'll take a short quiz that goes over important musical terms and concepts. Take these assessments, as well as the chapter exam, to reinforce your understanding of music technology topics. The chapter is entirely self-paced, and you can access it online at any time using your computer or mobile device. Finally, we encourage you to submit questions to our music experts if you need any help with the chapter material.
1. Music Technology: History & Development
Discover the history of technology in music. Learn about the beginnings of recording and playback, along with current studio technology, and find out how computers and the internet have changed music forever.
2. Synthesizer: Definition, History & Music
Strap on your nerd hat - we're going to check out the history and performance of the synthesizer. It's weird, it caused a lot of discomfort in the classical music realm, and it's completely electronic!
3. Technology Used in Musical Compositions
In this lesson, you'll learn about how technology has changed the way composers make music. You'll encounter electronic instruments, audio editing tools, and electroacoustic music, and then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Music (143): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Introduction to Musical Elements
- Meter & Rhythm
- Music Notation
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Harmony in Music
- Elements of Chord Progression
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Musical Forms
- Techniques for Composing Music
- Techniques for Performing & Rehearsing Music
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- The Baroque Period in Music
- The Classical Period in Music
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Modern Era Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the United States
- Music of the World
- Music Teaching Strategies
- Principles of Music Education
- ILTS Music Flashcards