About This Chapter
Technology & the Brain - Chapter Summary
In psychology, experts identified correlations between the brain and technology. Get a comprehensive overview of this concept by reviewing this self-paced chapter. Explore entertaining lessons that examine ways video games, movies, the Internet and other forms of technology affect us psychologically. By the end of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Discuss the uses of technology, its disadvantages and how it impacts the brain
- List three assessments that examine the relationship between the body and mind
- Share developmental reasons for the rating classification systems associated with films and video games
- Provide details about the possible links between violent video games and behavior problems
- Explain how the Internet impacts our thoughts and behavior
- Define and discuss the history of artificial intelligence
- Describe trends in cognitive science
- Exhibit an understanding of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
Create your own study schedule by taking advantage of this chapter's flexibility. Review lessons around-the-clock, and enjoy the ability to access them anywhere you can secure an Internet connection. Also, benefit from multiple-choice lesson quizzes that confirm your full comprehension of the influence technology has on the brain. Get more details about lesson concepts by submitting questions using the Ask Our Experts feature in the Dashboard.
1. Technology & The Brain: Impact, Uses & Disadvantages
This lesson looks at how technology has impacted the brain. The lesson discusses how modern information technology has created both positive and negative impacts, and how it can be used to enhance brain functioning.
2. Psychophysiological and Neuropsychological Assessments
Some psychological disorders have a physical basis. In this lesson, we'll look at three types of assessments that examine the link between body and mind: neuroimaging, neuropsychological tests, and psychophysiological tests.
3. Do Violent Video Games Cause Behavior Problems?
Do you know an adolescent that spends a lot of time playing violent video games? This lesson weighs the evidence for and against the argument that violent video games cause behavioral problems.
4. Effects of the Internet on Our Thoughts & Behavior
How much time do you spend online? If you had to stop using the internet would it give you anxiety? In this lesson, we'll explore how the web has affected the way everyone thinks and communicates with each other.
5. What is Artificial Intelligence? - Definition & History
This lesson will serve as a basic introduction into the world of artificial intelligence. You'll learn what it is, its brief history, its current state, and where the future may lie.
6. Trends in Cognitive Science
Cognitive scientists are trying to discover how your mind works. Breakthroughs offer some answers and many new questions. In this lesson, we'll take a look at where it all started, and discuss some of what is happening in cognitive science.
7. What is Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation?
This article defines and describes a new approach to treating depression called Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS). While some challenges exist, this fresh approach offers the possibility of radical relief and improvement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards