About This Chapter
Television & Movies in the Digital Age - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors outline television and movies in the digital age in this engaging chapter. Some of the topics covered include the history of television, the impact of cable/satellite TV and product placement in films. Work at your own pace as you move through this chapter, and feel free to visit the lessons as often as you'd like. If you have questions, reach out to an instructor through the Dashboard. This chapter is designed to help you achieve the following goals:
- Outline the invention and timeline of the history of television
- Discuss the regulations associated with cable and satellite TV
- Detail the impact of technology on modern television
- Give examples of different types of films
- Identify the types of film studios and their environment
- Explain film distribution and production
- Recognize trends and changes in the film industry
1. History of Television: Invention & Timeline
Learn about the inventors and scientists responsible for bringing television into the world. Explore the progressive phases of development in the history of television. Discover the advances in technology and industry that made television possible.
2. Invention of Cable & Satellite TV: Impact & Regulations
This lesson examines changes in how television comes into our homes through able and satellite television providers. It examines the technology and several important legislative acts including the Cable Television Consumer Protection Act of 1992. Important terms are defined.
3. Impact of Technology on Modern Television
How do you watch television today? Do you use your phone or a tablet instead of your regular TV set? Learn about how new technologies are changing how and where we watch TV.
4. Types of Films: Examples & Product Placement
The film industry is an interesting assortment of product placement, different types of films, and film adaptations. In this lesson, you'll learn more about these facets of the film industry.
5. Film Studios: Types & Environment
This lesson explores the elements of movie studios. Learn the difference between corporate, corporate-independent, and independent movie studios, and take a look at the ten largest US film studios.
6. Film Production & Distribution
In this lesson, we explore the film production process from the green-light through production, distribution, and exhibition. In addition, we discuss post-production efficiencies and the movie-going experience.
7. Recognizing Changes & Trends in the Film Industry
Delve into the landscape of the film industry and explore key concepts and trends. Learn about what filmmakers today need to consider as they embark upon making their movies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Mass Media & Communication
- Media Literacy Fundamentals
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Print Media in the Digital Age
- Radio & Recording in the Digital Age
- Video Games in the Digital Age