About This Chapter
Tenancy & Leases in Real Estate - Chapter Summary
Our engaging chapter covers leases and tenancy as they apply in real estate. You'll study topics including fee simple and leaseholds, periodic tenancy and tenancy at will. Each lesson is accompanied by a quiz you can use to assess your understanding. Feel free to review these learning tools 24 hours a day on any mobile phone, tablet or computer for completely flexible studying. If you need assistance as you review the lessons, feel free to contact one of our instructors. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Define fee simple absolute
- Compare fee simple and leaseholds
- Differentiate between periodic tenancy and tenancy at will
- Describe the different kinds of real estate tenancy
- Give an example of tenancy at sufferance
1. Fee Simple Absolute: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about the fee simple absolute estate interest in real property and discover how to identify when someone has a fee simple absolute estate interest in land.
2. Fee Simple vs. Leasehold
In this lesson, you'll learn about the fee simple absolute estate interest and leasehold estate interest in real property and discover how to identify these two interests in land.
3. Periodic Tenancy: Definition, Example & Laws
This lesson will provide the student with the definition of periodic tenancy. Additionally, it will also provide examples of periodic tenancy as well as laws regarding periodic tenancy.
4. Tenancy at Will: Definition & Examples
This lesson will define tenancy at will and provide the reader with examples of a tenancy at will arrangement between a landlord and a tenant. It will also explain a lease, as well as the differences between a tenancy at will and a lease.
5. Periodic Tenancy vs. Tenancy at Will
This lesson defines both periodic tenancy and tenancy at will. It also explores examples of each tenancy and explains the differences between the two.
6. Types of Tenancy in Real Estate
In this lesson, we'll discuss the different types of tenancy in real estate, including a definition and example of each. After you're through, you'll understand why tenants choose different types of tenancy to best fit their individual needs.
7. Tenancy at Sufferance: Definition & Example
This lesson will define tenancy at sufferance and provide examples. Further, we'll learn about tenancy at will and how this differs from tenancy at sufferance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Real Estate Training course
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Land Use Regulations & Zoning
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection Laws in Real Estate
- Real Estate Transactions & Contracts
- Contract Law in Real Estate
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Real Estate Investment & Analysis
- Property Condition Disclosure Statements in Real Estate
- Overview of Real Estate Financing
- Real Estate Loan Types & Programs
- Real Estate Loan Regulations
- Real Estate Loan Calculations
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Real Estate Taxes, Warranties & Insurance
- Leases & Property Management
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Laws, Rules & Contracts for Real Estate
- Agency in Real Estate
- Property in Real Estate
- Principles & Theories in Real Estate
- Zoning & Development for Real Estate
- Real Estate Training Flashcards