About This Chapter
Tennis Rules & Techniques - Chapter Summary
View the entertaining video lessons included in this chapter to learn how the game of tennis has evolved over the years. You'll also take a look at the basic equipment required to participate in this sport and explore methods for selecting a racquet that matches a player's developmental levels and abilities. Tennis terminology, rules and scoring procedures are covered as well, along with techniques for mastering serves, approach shots, lobs, volleys, forehands and backhands. The chapter concludes with lessons on player etiquette and the safety precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk of injury. Altogether, these lessons are designed to teach you the following:
- The history of tennis
- Proper selection of tennis equipment
- Tennis serve and shot techniques
- Rules and scoring procedures
- Safety considerations and player etiquette
Our lessons are taught by experienced instructors who make learning fun. Whether you watch the short videos or read the transcripts, you're sure to find a format that can help you grasp key tennis terms and concepts. Multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter test are also included to help make the most of your learning experience.
1. The History & Evolution of Tennis
What do French monasteries, British royalty, croquet and the invention of rubber all have in common? Believe it or not, they were all essential to the evolution of modern tennis. Read on to find out how!
2. Identifying & Selecting Tennis Equipment
In this lesson we will identify and select various types of tennis equipment. This will include not only the racket, but also strings, shoes, tennis balls, and even the ever important subject of nutrition.
3. Tennis Techniques & Grips
In this lesson we will discuss some of the various techniques and racket grips that are necessary for players to improve their tennis skills. We will also discuss the various shot types that players will have to make during the game.
4. Tennis Rules & Scoring
Tennis is one of the most popular sports in the world, enjoyed and watched by tens of millions of people. In this lesson, learn about the rules and scoring in tennis as well as some of the sport's unique language.
5. Tennis Terms & Safety
This lesson explains the basics of tennis terms and how to stay safe while playing. While it may look like a complicated sport, tennis is actually pretty straightforward when you understand the terms. Tennis, anyone?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards