About This Chapter
Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Medical professionals have a large vocabulary when it comes to discussing how respiratory diseases are diagnosed and treated, which will be effectively broken down for you in this chapter. The terms that you'll see involve medical tests as well as common procedures that address respiratory diseases. The practice quizzes throughout the chapter will inform you of your grip on the content as you go. You'll get to learn about the following in this chapter:
- Several ways to shorten common terms used for the respiratory system
- Prevalent words concerning respiratory therapy
- Terms that involve the use of tuberculosis tests
- What some medications used for respiratory diseases are called
|Diagnostic Imaging for Respiratory Diseases: Terminology||Study different types of diagnostic imaging.|
|Testing for Respiratory Problems: Terminology||Learn about ways that you can test for respiratory issues.|
|Terminology of Tuberculosis Tests||Become familiar with major kinds of tuberculosis tests.|
|Terminology for Medications for Respiratory Diseases||Learn the names of medications that people take for respiratory diseases.|
|Terminology for Treatment of the Nose, Throat & Larynx||Check out different medical procedures involving the throat, nose and larynx.|
|Vocabulary of Treatments for Trachea Issues||Discover some major terms dealing with medical care for trachea problems.|
|Treatment Vocabulary for Lungs, Pleura & Thorax||Explore operations done to improve the pleura, lungs and thorax.|
|Terminology of Respiratory Therapy||Examine different terms associated with respiratory therapy.|
|Abbreviations for the Respiratory System A-M||Become aware of a number of abbreviations that are used in reference to the respiratory system.|
|Abbreviations for the Respiratory System N-Z||Study additional abbreviations that come in handy when discussing the respiratory system.|
1. Diagnostic Imaging for Respiratory Diseases: Terminology
This lesson addresses the ways doctors can diagnose respiratory problems using diagnostic imaging techniques. Learn about procedures such as chest imaging, bronchoscopy, and laryngoscopy.
2. Testing for Respiratory Problems: Terminology
This lesson defines several different types of tests used to diagnose respiratory problems: sputum cytology, spirometry, pulmonary function tests, pulse oximetry and peak flow meter. Then, test your memorization of the terms with our quick quiz.
3. Terminology of Tuberculosis Tests
This lesson defines the two major tests used in testing for tuberculosis: the tuberculin tine test and the Mantoux PPD (Tuberculin) skin test. It also defines antigen and tuberculin.
4. Terminology for Medications for Respiratory Diseases
This lesson covers some of the major kinds of medications (general classes) used for respiratory disease as well as their administration. Terms include: bronchodilator, nebulizer, meter-dose inhaler, antitussive and dry powder inhaler.
5. Terminology for Treatment of the Nose, Throat & Larynx
This lesson discusses surgical treatment terminology related to the nose, throat, and larynx, including laryngoplasty, laryngectomy, pharyngoplasty, pharyngotomy, and septoplasty.
6. Vocabulary of Treatments for Trachea Issues
This lesson will define and discuss the following terms and (when necessary) their differences: trachea, tracheotomy, tracheostomy, tracheoplasty, stoma, and their respective suffixes.
7. Treatment Vocabulary for Lungs, Pleura & Thorax
This lesson is going to define several terms related to procedures involving the chest, lungs, and pleura: thoracotomy, thoracostomy, thoracentesis, pleurectomy, lobectomy, and pneumonectomy.
8. Terminology of Respiratory Therapy
This lesson will define a multitude of respiratory therapy techniques and devices: ventilators, respirators, supplemental oxygen, CPAP, and diaphragmatic breathing.
9. Abbreviations for the Respiratory System A-M
This lesson is going to go over quite a few different abbreviation associated with the respiratory system (A-M), including BR, Br, BRO, CSB, CF, COPD, CPR, ARF, ARDS, and many others.
10. Abbreviations for the Respiratory System N-Z
This lesson discusses some common abbreviations related to the respiratory system (starting with letters N-Z). These include NG, OSA, O2, PCP, PNO, PPV, URI, and SIDS.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology