About This Chapter
Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The nervous system sends electrical messages to all parts of the body, but sometimes there are errors in the system, and medical professionals must step in to help fix the problems. In this chapter, find out how medical specialists use a wide array of tools and procedures to treat nervous system disorders and neurological conditions.
The menu lets you quickly locate different lessons in this chapter, and you can also check out related chapters if you need further help. During the course of these lessons, you will obtain a deeper understanding of the following:
- The job duties and titles of related medical professionals
- Neurological diagnostic equipment
- Medications administered to patients with mental disorders
- Neurological diagnostic procedures
- Mental disorder therapy treatment options
- Medical abbreviations associated with the nervous system
|Medical Specialists of the Nervous System: Terminology||Learn about the roles and functions of the following medical professionals: neurologists, anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, anesthetists, neurosurgeons, and psychologists.|
|Vocabulary for Diagnosing Neurological Conditions||Explore the uses for these diagnoses tools and techniques: electroencephalography, carotid ultrasonography, MRI, echoencephalography, CT, Myelography, and lumbar puncture.|
|Terminology for Medications That Help Treat Mental Disorders||Describe the benefits and drawbacks to using antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, stimulants, psychotropic medications, antidepressants, and anxiolytic prescriptions for the treatment of mental disorders.|
|Psychological Therapy for Mental Disorders: Terminology||Point out the uses and benefits of the following psychological therapeutic treatments: hypnotherapy, psychoanalysis, cognitive, and behavioral.|
|Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System A-M||Go over the first half of the major medical abbreviations used in connection with the nervous system.|
|Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System N-Z||Memorize the second half of the most commonly used nervous system medical abbreviations.|
1. Medical Specialists of the Nervous System: Terminology
Ever needed to relax a bit? Maybe you had a nervous twitch that wouldn't go away. Maybe you worry too much. Maybe, just maybe, one of these medical specialists of the nervous system can help you.
2. Vocabulary for Diagnosing Neurological Conditions
We will look at several diagnostic tests that are available to determine the presence of neurological conditions. This lesson will cover what can be determined with each test.
3. Terminology for Medications That Help Treat Mental Disorders
Like any other disease or disorder anywhere in the body, mental disorders need to be treated for the good of the patient. Here, we will define some of the general medications used to treat mental disorders.
4. Psychological Therapy For Mental Disorders: Terminology
What's just as, if not more important than, drug therapy for individuals with a mental illness? Psychological therapies! This lesson defines a few of these kinds of therapies.
5. Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System A-M
This lesson will go over some common and important abbreviations related to the nervous system that you should be aware of: AD, ALS, ADHD, CP, CSF, ECG, EPAN, ICP, LOC, and MS.
6. Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System N-Z
This lesson covers some important and well-known medical abbreviations pertaining to the nervous system, starting with the letters N-Z: RLS, OCD, SAD, RS, PD, PTSD, and TIA. Afterward, check your memorization with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology