About This Chapter
Terminology for the Cardiovascular System - Chapter Summary
This medical terminology study resource covers vocabulary related to the human cardiovascular system. Our expert instructors will help you define essential terms and understand the functions of various cardiovascular system parts. Each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help you retain the terms and concepts you've studied. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the parts and functions of the human circulatory system
- Break down the anatomy of the heart
- Understand what electrocardiograms (ECGs) are used for
- Define medical terminology related to blood, coronary artery disease and cardiovascular system drug treatment
- Identify the different blood types
- Evaluate diagnostics pertaining to the cardiovascular system
1. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
2. Anatomy of the Heart: Blood Flow and Parts
In this lesson, you will take a look inside the heart and identify the chambers and one-way valves that make up this vital organ. You will also follow along as we trace the flow of blood through the heart chambers.
3. Electrocardiogram (ECG): Definition & Wave Types
Do you know how problems in the heart are detected? In this lesson, you will learn how to read an electrocardiogram (ECG) and discover what is happening in the heart during the P, QRS, and T waves.
4. Medical Terminology Related to Blood
Your blood is incredibly important for delivering oxygen, nutrients, and proteins to your cells and for carrying metabolic waste products away. In this lesson, learn about the medical terms that describe your blood.
5. Blood Types: ABO System, Red Blood Cell Antigens & Blood Groups
You are either blood type A, B, AB or O. But, did you know that your blood type is determined by microscopic antigens found on your red blood cells? In this lesson, you will learn about the different blood groups and why they do not mix.
6. Rh Blood Group, Rh Factor & Erythroblastosis Fetalis
Rh factor is a red blood cell antigen found in most people. Those with Rh factor are Rh positive, while those without are Rh negative. In this lesson you will learn about Rh blood compatibility and its importance during pregnancy.
7. Coronary Artery Disease Terminology
Coronary Artery disease is the primary cause of heart attacks and strokes, which affect millions of people each year. In this lesson, learn about how coronary artery disease develops over time and what might happen after you have a heart attack.
8. Diagnostics Related to the Cardiovascular System
There are many tests that can be used to diagnose cardiovascular diseases and disorders. In this lesson, learn about the diagnostic tests that can be done to see what is going on inside your heart.
9. Cardiovascular System Drug Treatment Terminology
There are many medications that can be used to treat cardiovascular disorders. Some are used to treat conditions that can cause heart attacks and strokes and others are used to treat the symptoms that you might have after you have a heart attack.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology