About This Chapter
Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems - Chapter Summary
The lymphatic system serves many important functions within the body. Use these lessons to explore the function and anatomy of the lymph system and how it relates to the body's immune response. You will also explore some common pathologies and medical treatments involving the lymph system. These lessons are designed with convenience in mind, you can review the material whenever you like, using a wide variety of devices. Once you have completed the lesson you can quickly test what you have learned using the self-assessment quizzes included. In these lessons, you'll study topics like:
- What the lymph system does and its anatomy
- The vocabulary used to discuss the lymph and immune systems
- How the immune system functions at the cellular level
- What the most common and most serious pathologies are for the immune and lymph systems
1. What is the Lymphatic System? - Structures, Function & Vocabulary
Your lymphatic system is an important part of your body's defense team. Learn about structures of the lymphatic system, such as the lymphatic vessels, spleen, thymus gland, tonsils and Peyer's patches, and the roles they play in keeping you healthy.
2. Vocabulary for Major Pathology & Diagnostics of the Lymphatic System
This lesson is chock full of terms related to the pathologies of the lymphatic system. From the differences between lymphadenitis, lymphadenopathy, and lymphadenomegaly, to splenorrhagia and more!
3. The Immune System at the Cellular Level: Terminology
This lesson defines several terms related to the microscopic aspects of the immune system: immunity, lymphocytes, B cells, T cells, macrophages, dendritic cells, complements, interferon, and lymphokines.
4. Medical Terms for Major Pathology & Diagnostics of the Immune System
You have a pretty good internal police force in your body known as the immune system. And just like a police force, sometimes our immune systems can do things they're not supposed to. Find out what can go wrong in this lesson.
5. Medical Terms for Treatments Related to the Immune System
While our immune system is there to protect us, it can sometimes overstep its bounds and hurt us, or it can be too weak to help us out. That's why we turn to immunotherapy, which can help in either instance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology