About This Chapter
Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System - Chapter Summary
Each lesson within this chapter covers a different part of the muscular system. You will learn about the different types of muscle, how they are arranged in large muscle masses and how doctors discuss muscular problems. Lessons will also cover physical therapy, muscular surgeries and other treatments available. Once you have completed each lesson you can see how much you have learned using the included interactive quiz. All topics in this chapter can be accessed across multiple devices, whenever you find the time. Work through these lessons to learn:
- The basic structure and vocabulary of the muscular system
- How muscle contractions allow you to move
- What the different types of muscle tissue are and where they are located
- Ways doctors can diagnose muscle injuries and illnesses
- What kinds of medications can help muscular disorders
- How surgery can help repair damaged muscles
- Why physical therapy is sometimes needed to repair muscles
- The terminology used to talk about muscle disorders
1. Important Structures & Vocabulary of the Muscular System
Your muscles create movement. There are more than 600 skeletal muscles on your body. In this lesson, you will learn about the major skeletal muscles of the body and terminology associated with important structures of the skeletal muscular system.
2. Types of Muscle Tissue: Skeletal, Cardiac & Smooth
Have you ever wondered why muscle has different names such as striated, smooth, voluntary, or involuntary? This lesson describes the different types of muscle tissue based on their histology, mechanism of contraction, and regulation.
3. How Muscular Contraction Causes Articulation: Definition & Types
Skeletal muscle contraction causes all types of movement. Movement at our joints is referred to as articulation. All articulation is described in reference to the anatomical position, and most articulations are identified in opposite pairs. This lesson identifies and describes the major articulations of the human body.
4. Diagnostics Related to the Muscular System
Have you ever wondered how doctors diagnose muscular problems? They have a wide range of tests they can conduct, including deep tendon reflexes, ROM, and electro(neuro)myography.
5. Medications to Treat the Muscular System: Terminology
There are several reasons you may need to take a muscle relaxer for the different muscles in your body. Let's go over some examples of the drugs used to relax the different types of muscles in the human body.
6. Surgical Procedures of the Musculoskeletal System: Terminology
The musculoskeletal system is composed of many parts, including the muscles, tendons, and fascia. This lesson focuses on surgical procedures related to these parts.
7. Occupational & Physical Therapy: Vocabulary
There are tons of occupational and physical therapy techniques out there. While we can't go over all of them, we will define occupational and physical therapy as well as vocabulary related to them.
8. Terminology of General Muscle Disorders
You may be strong, but your muscles are not invincible! They can only take so much before they break down, herniate or do other wild and crazy things. This lesson will uncover some terminology of general muscle disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology