About This Chapter
Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment - Chapter Summary
Work through this medical terminology chapter at your own pace to learn and review important terms for gastrointestinal tract pathology, diagnoses and treatments. Inside the chapter, you'll find short lessons that succinctly define gastrointestinal terminology in a fun and memorable manner. You can take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the terms you've studied. You can also use any computer or mobile device to access the chapter material. Studying these lessons can help you:
- Break down obstructive intestinal disorder terms
- Define vocabulary related to inflammatory and autoimmune disorders of the intestinal tract
- Recognize medical terms associated with liver problems, gallbladder conditions and gastrointestinal motility
- Understand terms pertaining to GI tract imaging, specimen tests, visual examinations and diagnoses
- Evaluate treatment terminology related to the stomach, intestinal tract, liver and gallbladder
1. Terminology of Obstructive Intestinal Disorders
Your intestines are susceptible to being obstructed simply as a result of their positioning or location. This lesson defines these problems: herniation, volvulus, intussusception, and adhesions.
2. Vocabulary of Inflammatory & Autoimmune Disorders of the Intestinal Tract
This lesson will define several terms related to inflammatory and autoimmune disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and clarify a common misconception between inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
3. Words Related to Gastrointestinal Motility
This lesson defines several different terms related to gastrointestinal motility: peristalsis, vomiting, diarrhea, bowel incontinence, retroperistalsis, and ileus.
4. Vocabulary of Liver Problems
Color can indicate disease! This specific lesson will point out the color that's associated with problems affecting the liver, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis.
5. Terminology for Gallbladder Conditions
The gallbladder is an organ heavily involved in the process of digestion. There are many problems that can affect it including gallstones, cholangitis, cholecystitis, and others, all of which this lesson covers.
6. GI Tract Imaging & Specimen Tests: Vocabulary
This lesson is going to focus on the various imaging tests that are used when diagnosing problems that may occur in the GI tract. We will also cover specimen testing.
7. Visual Examinations for GI Tract Diagnosis: Terminology
We will take a look at the different types of visual examinations that are done on the GI tract in order to diagnose conditions that may exist. We will also cover which conditions can be detected from the diagnostic tests.
8. Stomach Treatment & Procedure Terminology
How can you feed someone who cannot eat? How can you prevent someone from eating too much? Believe it or not, there's actually more than one way! This lesson outlines the terminology related to all of this.
9. Intestinal Tract Treatment Vocabulary
Your intestines are long, and there is an equally long list of procedures that involve them. This lesson covers some of the ones that deal with removal of the intestines or the creation of surgical openings involving them.
10. Liver & Gallbladder Treatment Terminology
Whether due to cancer, stones, or some other reason, the liver and/or gallbladder may require a surgical procedure. This lesson defines some terms associated with these types of procedures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology