About This Chapter
Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions & Treatment - Chapter Summary
Take a look at these bite-sized and engaging medical terminology lessons to review nervous system condition and treatment vocabulary. Inside the chapter, you'll find clear definitions of nervous system medical terms, as well as memorable explanations of related diagnostics, procedures and pathologies. Our expert instructors are available to assist you if you have any questions and you can take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of the definitions you've studied. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Evaluate terms related to meninges and head pathologies
- Identify vocabulary words regarding strokes, brain disorders and brain injuries
- Recognize terms associated with the different levels of consciousness
- Name conditions that affect the spinal cord and nerves
- Understand abnormal sensation terms
- Break down medical terms regarding anesthesia, hypnotics and sedatives
- Define terms related to brain and nerve procedures, mental disorder medications and neurological condition diagnostics
- Recognize medical abbreviations for the nervous system
1. Terms for Pathologies of the Meninges & Head
This lesson will define several different pathologies related to the head and the meninges. These include cephalgia, migraine headaches, cluster headaches, meningitis, hydrocephalus, meningocele, and encephalocele.
2. Terminology for Brain-Related Disorders
This lesson defines some important and famous disorders related to the brain. We will look at Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, encephalitis, dementia, Alzheimer's, and Reye's syndrome.
3. Medical Terminology for Brain Injuries
This lesson defines several different kinds of brain injuries: concussions, cerebral contusions, intracranial hematomas, coup-contrecoup, and shaken-baby syndrome.
4. Terminology for the Levels of Consciousness
This lesson will go over several different levels of consciousness and define these terms: consciousness, unconsciousness, confusion, delirium, lethargy, obtundation, syncope, stupor, coma and persistent vegetative state.
5. Medical Terminology Related to Strokes
This lesson will go over some terminology related to stroke: transient ischemic attack, cerebrovascular accident, ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, aphasia, and aneurysm.
6. Vocabulary of Spinal Cord Conditions
This lesson will define terminology associated with medical conditions that affect the spinal cord and nearby structures: myelitis, myelosis, poliomyelitis, multiple sclerosis, radiculitis, and cervical and lumbar radiculopathy.
7. Terms for Conditions Affecting the Nerves
This lesson discusses several different conditions that affect nerve cells and nerves in general. These include amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, tetatanus, sciatica, trigeminal neuralgia, and Bell's palsy.
8. Medical Terminology for Abnormal Sensations
This lesson defines several terms for and conditions related to abnormal sensations: causalgia, hyperesthesia, paresthesia, restless legs syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, and complex regional pain syndrome.
9. Terminology for Sedatives, Hypnotics & Anesthesia
This lesson goes over some of the terminology related to medications used in the management of the nervous system: sedatives, hypnotics, anesthetics, and anticonvulsants, as well as some examples of each. Take the test after watching the video to see if you remember the terms.
10. Terminology for Procedures Related to the Brain and Nerves
In this lesson, we'll cover a few terms related to surgical procedures of the brain and nerves. Lobectomy, thalamotomy, neuroplasty, neurotomy and neurorrhaphy.
11. Terminology for Medications That Help Treat Mental Disorders
Like any other disease or disorder anywhere in the body, mental disorders need to be treated for the good of the patient. Here, we will define some of the general medications used to treat mental disorders.
12. Vocabulary for Diagnosing Neurological Conditions
We will look at several diagnostic tests that are available to determine the presence of neurological conditions. This lesson will cover what can be determined with each test.
13. Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System A-M
This lesson will go over some common and important abbreviations related to the nervous system that you should be aware of: AD, ALS, ADHD, CP, CSF, ECG, EPAN, ICP, LOC, and MS.
14. Medical Abbreviations Related to the Nervous System N-Z
This lesson covers some important and well-known medical abbreviations pertaining to the nervous system, starting with the letters N-Z: RLS, OCD, SAD, RS, PD, PTSD, and TIA. Afterward, check your memorization with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 103: Medical Terminology course
- Overview of Medical Terminology
- Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terms for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Overview & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Genetics, Cells & Tissues
- Terminology for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terms for the Skeletal System
- Terminology & Functions of the Muscular System
- Terminology for the Cardiovascular System
- Medical Terms for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathology, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Medical Terminology for the Urinary System
- Medical Terminology for the Nervous System
- Medical Terminology Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terms Related to the Ears
- Medical Terms for the Integumentary System
- Medical Terms for the Endocrine System
- Medical Terminology for the Reproductive Systems
- Medical Terms for Diagnostic Exams
- Medical Terms for Radiology, Pharmacology & Oncology