About This Chapter
Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The nervous system is made up of complex connections between our brain, sensory organs, spinal cord and nerves. The vastness of the system leaves it vulnerable to affliction by a wide variety of conditions. The video lessons in this chapter take a closer look at the terms for these nervous system-related conditions. You can learn what conditions and injuries impact the brain, spinal cord and nerves. The lessons explore various disorders, including those related to anxiety, sleep, development and personality. You can also examine terms that describe the causes for some conditions, injuries and disorders, as well as vocabulary used to define their treatments.
The lessons are designed for optimal online learning, meaning you can watch at your own leisure and rewind or jump to specific topics when you're ready for review. You can also access full video transcripts if you want a written version of the lessons. Self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam are available to test your comprehension of the terms in this chapter. If you have any questions, instructors are available to assist. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to identify:
- Vocabulary for pathologies, disorders, tumors and injuries of the brain
- Terminology for sleep, anxiety, developmental, dissociative, mood and somatoform disorders
- Terms for strokes and types of epilepsy
- The vocabulary of spinal cord conditions, conditions affecting the nerves and procedures related to the brain and nerves
- Causes, effects and treatment of alcoholism
- Terminology used for sedatives and anesthesia
|Terms for Pathologies of the Meninges & Head||Study terms like cephalalgia, migraine headache, cluster headaches, meningitis and more.|
|Terminology for Brain-Related Disorders||Learn about Alzheimer's, cognition, dementia, Parkinson's, Beye's and other brain-related disorder terminology.|
|Medical Terminology for Brain Injuries||Review terms like amnesia, concussion, cerebral contusion, cranial hematoma and shaken baby syndrome.|
|Terminology for the Levels of Consciousness||Learn more about LOCs and delirium.|
|Terms for Types of Brain Tumors||Examine intracranial pressure and discuss common brain tumor types.|
|Medical Terminology Related to Strokes||Discover medical terminology like ischemic stroke, TIA, aphasia and hemorrhaghic stroke.|
|Terminology Related to Sleep Disorders||Explore insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep deprivation and somnambulism.|
|Vocabulary of Spinal Cord Conditions||Read about myelitis, myelosis, radiculitis, cervical radiculopathy and other spinal cord conditions.|
|Terms for Conditions Affecting the Nerves||Analyze ALS, Bell's palsy, GBS, sciatica and trigeminal neuralgia.|
|Medical Terminology for Abnormal Sensations||Understand terminology like causalgia, complex regional pain syndrome, hyperesthesia and restless leg syndrome.|
|Terminology for Sedatives, Hypnotics & Anesthesia||Learn about terms including amobarbital, hypnotic, anticonvulsant, barbiturate, sedatives, anesthesia and epidural.|
|Terminology for Procedures Related to the Brain and Nerves||Explore procedure terminology like lobectomy, thalamotomy, neuroplasty and neurotomy.|
|Anxiety Disorder Medical Terminology||Study various anxiety disorders like GAD, OCD, panic disorder, panic attack and PTSD.|
|Medical Terminology Related to Phobias||Review terms for various phobias like acrophobia, agoraphobia, arachnophobia and claustrophobia.|
|Terms for Developmental Disorders||Examine vocabulary for development disorders like autism, ADD, dyslexia and mental retardation.|
|Vocabulary for Dissociative, Factitious & Impulsive Control Disorders||Analyze terms like dissociative disorder, factitious disorder, kleptomania, pyromania and trichotillomania.|
|Terminology for Mood, Personality & Psychotic Disorders||Read about bipolar, manic, depression, SAD, personality disorder, delusion, hallucination, schizophrenia and more.|
|Somatoform Disorders||Explore various types of somatoform disorders.|
|Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment||Discover the various causes, symptoms, effects and treatments of alcoholism.|
|Epilepsy: Causes, Types, and Treatments||Take a closer look at the causes, types and treatments for epilepsy.|
1. Terms for Pathologies of the Meninges & Head
This lesson will define several different pathologies related to the head and the meninges. These include cephalgia, migraine headaches, cluster headaches, meningitis, hydrocephalus, meningocele, and encephalocele.
2. Terminology for Brain-Related Disorders
This lesson defines some important and famous disorders related to the brain. We will look at Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, encephalitis, dementia, Alzheimer's, and Reye's syndrome.
3. Medical Terminology for Brain Injuries
This lesson defines several different kinds of brain injuries: concussions, cerebral contusions, intracranial hematomas, coup-contrecoup, and shaken-baby syndrome.
4. Terminology for the Levels of Consciousness
This lesson will go over several different levels of consciousness and define these terms: consciousness, unconsciousness, confusion, delirium, lethargy, obtundation, syncope, stupor, coma and persistent vegetative state.
5. Terms for Types of Brain Tumors
This lesson discusses the basics and definitions of brain tumors, malignant brain tumors, benign brain tumors, gliomas, meningioma, and increased intracranial pressure.
6. Medical Terminology Related to Strokes
This lesson will go over some terminology related to stroke: transient ischemic attack, cerebrovascular accident, ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, aphasia, and aneurysm.
7. Terminology Related to Sleep Disorders
In this lesson, we will go over two sides of sleep disorders. One will focus on disorders pertaining to a lack of sleep, while the other will define disorders associated with too much sleep or sleeping at an unusual moment.
8. Vocabulary of Spinal Cord Conditions
This lesson will define terminology associated with medical conditions that affect the spinal cord and nearby structures: myelitis, myelosis, poliomyelitis, multiple sclerosis, radiculitis, and cervical and lumbar radiculopathy.
9. Terms for Conditions Affecting the Nerves
This lesson discusses several different conditions that affect nerve cells and nerves in general. These include amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, tetatanus, sciatica, trigeminal neuralgia, and Bell's palsy.
10. Medical Terminology for Abnormal Sensations
This lesson defines several terms for and conditions related to abnormal sensations: causalgia, hyperesthesia, paresthesia, restless legs syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, and complex regional pain syndrome.
11. Epilepsy: Causes, Types, and Treatments
This lesson will go over seizures and epilepsy. We'll define the difference, go over why it may occur, how it is diagnosed, and how some treatments work to stop the seizures that cause epilepsy.
12. Terminology for Sedatives, Hypnotics & Anesthesia
This lesson goes over some of the terminology related to medications used in the management of the nervous system: sedatives, hypnotics, anesthetics, and anticonvulsants, as well as some examples of each. Take the test after watching the video to see if you remember the terms.
13. Terminology for Procedures Related to the Brain and Nerves
In this lesson, we'll cover a few terms related to surgical procedures of the brain and nerves. Lobectomy, thalamotomy, neuroplasty, neurotomy and neurorrhaphy.
14. Anxiety Disorder Medical Terminology
This lesson defines anxiety disorders and covers their very basic aspects. These include generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
15. Medical Terminology Related to Phobias
Don't be afraid now! This lesson defines the word phobia and four examples of famous phobias: arachnophobia, agoraphobia, acrophobia, and claustrophobia.
16. Terms for Developmental Disorders
Did you know that some people with developmental disorders are also some of the most gifted? Don't let ADD, ADHD, learning disabilities, and other developmental disorders make you think otherwise.
17. Vocabulary for Dissociative, Factitious & Impulse Control Disorders
Have you ever malingered? I have. Just once. But malingering is often confused with a different disorder. You'll find out what it is as we discuss dissociative, factitious and impulse control disorders.
18. Terminology for Mood, Personality & Psychotic Disorders
We all have good days and bad days, and we all sometimes think we hear something when there is really nothing there. But for some people, their mood, personality or psychotic disorder is more than a passing matter.
19. Somatoform Disorders: Definition, Types & Examples
What's the mind's relationship with the body? In this lesson we'll examine how some physical symptoms could actually be caused by psychological factors.
20. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology