About This Chapter
Terrorism & Weapons of Mass Destruction - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an overview of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction. Through a series of simple lessons, you'll learn about the history of terrorism, terrorist groups and types of terrorism. You'll also learn about the differences between several types of weapons of mass destruction. Solidify your knowledge by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. If you need any extra help with the material, feel free to submit questions to our instructors. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize different types of terrorism
- Provide examples of terrorist organizations around the world
- Explain the evolving capabilities of different terrorist groups
- Recognize biological, chemical and nuclear weapons of mass destruction
- Evaluate concerns about weapons proliferation
- Understand how non-state actors impact weapons of mass destruction
1. What Is Terrorism? - Definition, History, Types & Examples
Terrorism is a major buzzword in today's society, but how much do you really know about it? In this lesson, we'll look at the history of terrorism and see how it turned into the threat we know it as today.
2. Terrorism Around the World
In this lesson, you'll explore the major terrorist threats of the modern world, including both al-Qaeda and ISIL. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Evolving Capabilities of Terrorist Groups
In this lesson, we will learn about the increasing capabilities of terrorist groups including the different types of violent and non-violent activities that have expanded their capabilities. We will also review how the proliferation of chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear weapons (CBRN) have allowed terrorist groups to increase their capabilities.
4. Weapons of Mass Destruction: Biological, Chemical & Nuclear
What are weapons of mass destruction? Learn about the different types and their dangers, including biological, chemical and nuclear weapons. See what you learned by taking a quiz.
5. Weapons Proliferation: Concerns & Actions
The following lesson will cover the increase in weapons production worldwide, as well as the concerns and actions the global community has in response. A short quiz will follow the lesson.
6. Non-state Actors & Weapons of Mass Destruction
The advent of weapons of mass destruction, particularly nuclear weapons, changed global politics forever. This lesson explores non-state actors' attempts to acquire WMD materials.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding World Conflicts
- The First World War (1914-1918)
- The Second World War (1939-1945)
- The Cold War (1945-1991)
- The Arab-Israeli Wars (1948-present)
- The Indo-Pakistani Conflict (1947-present)
- The Yugoslav (Balkan) Wars (1991-1999)
- Conflict in the Middle East & the War on Terror (1980-present)
- International Political Theories
- Actors in International Politics
- Key Issues in International Politics
- Views on War & Peace
- Causation of War
- Paths to Peace in International Relations
- Intra-State Conflicts After the Cold War
- Clash of Civilizations Overview
- International Humanitarian Intervention
- UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900 Flashcards