About This Chapter
Information Technology in the Business Environment - Chapter Summary
Fun lessons in this chapter ensure you understand computer networking, telecommunications, database management and e-commerce. Our instructors can even introduce you to the different types of data and help you assess the impact of information technology on the economy with lessons covering the following topics:
- Telecommunication system components
- Mainframe and client/server systems
- Network operating systems
- Computer networks and distributed processing
- E-commerce and m-commerce
- Cloud computing and database management
Whether you need help differentiating between wireless and local area networks or just want a refresher on database structures, this chapter's videos and transcripts explain each concept in a way that's easy to understand. There are also quizzes at the end of each lesson to help you discern when it's time to move on to the next topic.
1. Information Technology: Impact on the Economy
2. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
3. Client/Server and Mainframe Systems Used in Telecommunication Systems
Telecommunications are managed in a number of different ways, including peer-to-peer, client/server and mainframe systems. Learn why client/server has become the most widely used network architecture.
4. Telecommunications Hardware: Routers, Modems, Switches, Bridges, and Gateways
Building a computer network requires specialized hardware. Learn about transmission media and the variety of hardware devices needed for a computer network.
5. Network Operating Systems (NOS): Windows & Novell Net Ware
Every computer needs an operating system, and networks require their own operating systems. Learn about the specialized functions of network operating systems.
6. Computer Networks and Distributed Processing: PAN, LAN, WAN, MAN
Computer networks can vary in size from a handful of devices within a single room to millions of devices spread across the entire globe. Learn about the different types of networks.
7. e-commerce & m-commerce: Buying & Selling on the Web & Mobile Devices
E-commerce and m-commerce have transformed the way that organizations and consumers conduct business. Additional topics discussed in this lesson include B2B, B2C, C2C, and e-government.
8. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
9. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
10. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Business for Teachers: Help & Review course
- Fundamental Concepts in Accounting
- Recording & Planning in Accounting
- Accounting Analysis & Evaluation
- Economic Activities & Markets
- Business Markets & Globalization
- Banking & the Federal Reserve
- Business Types & Planning
- Entrepreneurship & Start-Ups
- Basics of Marketing Strategy
- Business Management Functions
- Management Theory for the Business Environment
- Concepts in Human Resource Management
- Resource Management & Training
- Compensation & Performance Review
- Principles of Business Ethics
- Principles of Business Law
- Employment Law Basics
- International Business Strategies
- Verbal Communication in the Workplace
- Written & Electronic Communication
- Presentations and Reporting
- Computer Use in Business
- Internet Technologies in Business
- Business Information Privacy and Security