About This Chapter
TExES Chemistry: Chemical Kinetics - Chapter Summary
The lessons contained in this chapter help you review chemical reaction rates and the factors that affect these reactions. You'll study formulas and theories relevant to this topic, which you can expect to be tested on when taking the TExES Chemistry exam. Once you fully grasp the concepts discussed in these lessons, you will be comfortable doing the following:
- Define the modifying factors associated with the rate of a chemical reaction
- Detail collision theory and its significance
- Explain activation energy and catalysts
- Outline reaction mechanisms and the rate determining step
- Discuss reaction rate constant, equilibrium constant and chemical kinetics
- Identify some of the chemicals found in household products
These video lessons make it easy to review a complex topic. Accompanying quizzes allow you to practice with multiple-choice questions, the format used in the actual exam. Our videos are easy to navigate using the video tags if you need to go back and review one subject or section over again.
1. Rate of a Chemical Reaction: Modifying Factors
Why are some reactions much faster than others? Is it possible to change how fast a reaction occurs? In this lesson, you will learn what the rate of a chemical reaction is. You will also discover how factors such as temperature, concentration, surface area, and catalysts impact reaction rates.
2. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
3. Activation Energy and Catalysts
Learn how to define activation energy and how it relates to a reaction's energy. Learn what an activated complex is and where it fits into an activation energy diagram. Discover how a catalyst works to change the activation energy of a reaction and what this means to metabolism in the body.
4. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
5. Chemical Kinetics, Reaction Rate Constant & Equilibrium Constant
Are formulas, rate constants, and chemical reactions getting you down? Don't worry, this lesson will explain how reaction rate and equilibrium constants are related to chemical reactions.
6. Chemicals Found in Household Products
Chemicals sound scary, but they're all around us. Learn about some of the most common household chemicals and how they're used. Demonstrate what you've learned with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExES Chemistry: Equipment, Safety & Measurements
- TExES Chemistry: Scientific Inquiry & Processes
- TExES Chemistry: Matter
- TExES Chemistry: Atomic Structure & Characteristics
- TExES Chemistry: Properties of Gases
- TExES Chemistry: Properties of Ionic & Covalent Bonds
- TExES Chemistry: Chemical Notation & Equations
- TExES Chemistry: Types & Proprieties of Solutions
- TExES Chemistry: Energy & Thermodynamics
- TExES Chemistry: Acids, Bases & Chemical Reactions
- TExES Chemistry: Equilibrium
- TExES Chemistry: Nuclear Chemistry
- TExES Chemistry: Teaching & Assessing Scientific Inquiry
- TExES Chemistry 7-12 Flashcards