About This Chapter
TExES Life Science: Nucleic Acids - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a look at biological molecules, including DNA and RNA. You'll re-examine their structural components and analyze the differences between these two nucleic acids. The video lessons in this chapter will also allow you to review the functions of nucleotides and pyrimidines. When you use the lessons as study tools, you can become better-prepared to take the TExES Life Science examination. The chapter might help you with:
- Explaining the chemical composition of phosphodiester bonds and nucleic acids
- Understanding complementary base pairing
- Discussing the functions of guanine, cytosine, thymine and adenine
- Discussing double-helix structure and the hereditary molecule
- Comparing the structural components of DNA and RNA molecules
Well-educated lesson instructors outline the fundamentals of nucleic acids so that you can address the material with confidence when you sit for the TExES Life Science examination. The lessons are designed to be informative and user-friendly. You can study anywhere as long as you have access to Web-ready technology. Use the video tags to locate information right away and submit your questions on nucleic acids to the experts. Take the self-assessment tests to gauge your progress.
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
In this lesson, you'll discover what nucleotides look like and how they come together to form polynucleotides. We'll also explore nucleic acids and focus on DNA in particular.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
Learn the language of nucleotides as we look at the nitrogenous bases adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Armed with this knowledge, you'll also see why DNA strands must run in opposite directions.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
This lesson will help you to navigate the twists and turns of DNA's structure. We'll also clue you in on the amazing discoveries that put this nucleic acid in the limelight as the molecule of heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExES Life Science: Overview of the Field
- TExES Life Science: Scientific Inquiry
- TExES Life Science: Lab Equipment, Processes & Safety
- TExES Life Science: Scientific Systems & Models
- TExES Life Science: Matter & Atomic Structure
- TExES Life Science: Cell Biology
- TExES Life Science: Prokaryotic Cells
- TExES Life Science: Cell Communication
- TExES Life Science: Inorganic Chemistry
- TExES Life Science: Organic Compounds
- TExES Life Science: Enzymes
- TExES Life Science: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- TExES Life Science: Metabolic Biochemistry
- TExES Life Science: DNA Replication
- TExES Life Science: DNA Transcription & Translation
- TExES Life Science: Cell Cycle & Division
- TExES Life Science: Genetics & Heredity
- TExES Life Science: Genetic Mutations
- TExES Life Science: Biological Evolution
- TExES Life Science: Taxonomy & the Diversity of Life
- TExES Life Science: Plant Cells
- TExES Life Science: Plant Biology
- TExES Life Science: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- TExES Life Science: Animals
- TExES Life Science: Human Body Systems
- TExES Life Science: Human Reproduction & Development
- TExES Life Science: Homeostasis of Organisms
- TExES Life Science: Biology & Behavior
- TExES Life Science: Interdependence of Life & Environmental Systems
- Learning & Instruction for the Science Classroom
- TExES Life Science 7-12 Flashcards