About This Chapter
TExES Life Science 7-12: Overview of the Field - Chapter Summary
Before we send our young charges off in scientific exploration, we give them a bit of the history of science itself. We teach them how science, technology, and math come together to make science what we know it to be today. The video lessons in this chapter give you the same start as you refresh your memory and prepare for the life science exam. The videos cover the same kind of material you will be tested on in the scientific inquiry domain of the TExES Life Science 7-12 exam, including:
- History of and key events in biological study
- Human scientific endeavors
- Similarities in scientific, mathematical, and technological systems
- Concepts that unite all sciences
- Scientific ethics
The chapter materials include brief, informative videos with accompanying lesson transcripts, quizzes, and a chapter exam. Use the assessments to see where you need the most practice and to become familiar with the types of questions you'll see on the real test. We kind of like the order of the lessons, but you are welcome to take them in any order you wish and to complete the assessments whenever your heart desires.
TExES Life Science 7-12: Overview of the Field Chapter Objectives
The lessons here all feed into the first domain, Scientific Inquiry and Processes, of the six included in the TExES Life Science 7-12 test. The videos and lessons are designed to dust off your knowledge of science history and foundations while also giving you chances to practice your test-taking skills.
The scientific inquiry domain constitutes 15% of the 100 multiple-choice questions the life science exam includes. You will have five hours to complete the entire test, which you will take on a computer in the testing center. This test is offered continuously at TExES testing centers.
1. Key Events in the History of Biological Study
The study of living things has a rich and exciting history. Here we will examine some of the key events in the history of biological study, their significance to the field, and the impacts of biological discoveries on humankind. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. The Nature of Science
This lesson will explore the basic nature of science. It will distinguish science from pseudoscience and hypothesis from theory and natural law; it will give plenty of examples of each.
3. Unifying Themes, Principles & Relationships in Science
Learn the true definition of science and explore the main themes and principles to understand how science helps us find relationships in the natural world. Take a quiz to test what you know.
4. How Science & Technology Are Related
What are science and technology, and how are they related? Learn about how science leads to technology, and technology leads to science. Discover some examples from history.
5. How Science & Technology Can Be Used to Solve Society's Problems
What is science and technology, and how do we use them to solve society's problems? Learn about the many advances humans have made thanks to science, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Life Science 7-12 (238): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExES Life Science: Scientific Inquiry
- TExES Life Science: Lab Equipment, Processes & Safety
- TExES Life Science: Scientific Systems & Models
- TExES Life Science: Matter & Atomic Structure
- TExES Life Science: Cell Biology
- TExES Life Science: Prokaryotic Cells
- TExES Life Science: Cell Communication
- TExES Life Science: Inorganic Chemistry
- TExES Life Science: Organic Compounds
- TExES Life Science: Nucleic Acids
- TExES Life Science: Enzymes
- TExES Life Science: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- TExES Life Science: Metabolic Biochemistry
- TExES Life Science: DNA Replication
- TExES Life Science: DNA Transcription & Translation
- TExES Life Science: Cell Cycle & Division
- TExES Life Science: Genetics & Heredity
- TExES Life Science: Genetic Mutations
- TExES Life Science: Biological Evolution
- TExES Life Science: Taxonomy & the Diversity of Life
- TExES Life Science: Plant Cells
- TExES Life Science: Plant Biology
- TExES Life Science: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- TExES Life Science: Animals
- TExES Life Science: Human Body Systems
- TExES Life Science: Human Reproduction & Development
- TExES Life Science: Homeostasis of Organisms
- TExES Life Science: Biology & Behavior
- TExES Life Science: Interdependence of Life & Environmental Systems
- Learning & Instruction for the Science Classroom
- TExES Life Science 7-12 Flashcards