About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-6: The Coordinate System - Chapter Summary
Get ready to take the TExES Math 4-6 test with help from this informative chapter on the coordinate system. You'll watch short videos about the coordinate plane, ordered pairs and the concept of symmetry in math. After completing these lessons, you should be able to:
- Outline the quadrants in the coordinate plane
- Plot points on the coordinate plane
- Explain ordered pairs on the coordinate plane
- Define symmetry in math
- Give an overview on reflections in math
- Provide the definition of similar shapes in math
- Identify congruence in geometric shapes
Test prep is stress free and fun with this collection of concise video lessons that are easy to watch and understand. Submit any questions that you have along the way to one of our experts through the Dashboard. Before you take the exam, you can quickly assess how you might do on exam day by answering the questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter test.
1. What is a Coordinate Plane? - Definition, Quadrants & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn what a coordinate plane is and some coordinate plane terminology. You'll also see a few examples of coordinate planes in action. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
3. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
4. What is Symmetry in Math? - Definition & Concept
Symmetry occurs in many areas of mathematics. This lesson explains symmetry in math and explores the three basic types of symmetry: rotational symmetry, reflection symmetry, and point symmetry.
5. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
6. Similar Shapes in Math: Definition & Overview
You've probably noticed similar shapes a lot in your daily life. This lesson explains the definition of similar shapes and gives you some tips on correctly identifying similar shapes in mathematics.
7. Congruence in Geometric Shapes
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can determine whether two shapes are congruent or not. You will learn what the one criterion is when determining congruency between two shapes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards