About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons and resources to assist you in reviewing fundamental knowledge of absolute values, including:
- The definition of absolute value
- Evaluating absolute value expressions
- Solving absolute value equations in context
- Graphing and transforming absolute values and transformations
- Dilations and reflections
Let our qualified instructors guide you through each topic in order to prepare you for test day. Jump to marked video sections and use the text transcripts to brush up on specific concepts.
Objectives of the TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations Chapter
The TExES Math 4-8 test assesses your knowledge and comprehension of mathematic concepts and strategies as well as your competency in teaching to determine your readiness for middle school level teacher licensing in Texas. This chapter's topics are part of the Patterns and Algebra domain, which makes up approximately 21% of the overall exam.
The self-check quizzes that accompany each lesson allow you to test your understanding of these crucial concepts while also familiarizing yourself with the types of questions you'll actually see on the exam. All of the questions on the exam are multiple-choice and are administered by computer.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
5. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
6. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving Math Word Problems
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Overview of Exponents
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards