About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions - Chapter Summary
Refresh your memory on basic geometric constructions with the engaging lessons in this chapter. Once you've finished all the lessons, you should be able to correctly answer any questions on the TExES Math 4-8 exam about:
- Geometric constructions with angles and lines
- Midpoint theorem and line segment bisection
- Constructing perpendicular and parallel lines
- Angle bisector construction
- Properties of medians in triangles
- Triangle construction
You may jump to specific video sections with video tags and use the text transcripts to review the concepts you may need to strengthen in preparation for the test. Ask our qualified instructors any questions you have via the Teacher tab.
1. Geometric Constructions Using Lines and Angles
Watch this video lesson to learn about geometric construction and how you can copy line segments and angles without using any numbers. All you need is a straight edge and a compass.
2. Line Segment Bisection & Midpoint Theorem: Geometric Construction
Watch this video lesson and you will learn how to bisect a line segment without measurements using just a compass and a straight edge. You'll also learn about the midpoint theorem, which lets you calculate the midpoint if you have the measurements.
3. Constructing a Parallel Line Using a Point Not on the Given Line
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how to draw parallel lines with just a compass and a straightedge. Also, learn why you would want to be able to do this in real life.
4. Constructing Perpendicular Lines in Geometry
In this video lesson, you will see how to use geometric construction to draw perpendicular lines. Learn why geometric construction is useful. Also find out the only two tools in addition to your pencil that you need to do this.
5. Constructing an Angle Bisector in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn a cool way to split an angle in half. You can use this method to split a pie slice in half where you can be sure each side is equal.
6. Constructing the Median of a Triangle
If you have one triangle and want to divide it, you can use a median line. Medians have special geometric properties that we'll learn about in this lesson.
7. Constructing Triangles: Types of Geometric Construction
When you're asked to construct a triangle, it's time to break out that compass and straight edge! In this lesson, find out how to construct triangles no matter what you're given.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving Math Word Problems
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Overview of Exponents
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards