About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms - Chapter Summary
These lessons to help you refresh the basics of exponentials and logarithms as part of your study process for the TExES Math 4-8 exam. The videos and their text transcripts review the following:
- Exponential growth and exponential decay in function form
- Evaluations of logarithms and logarithm properties t
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations
Our qualified instructors guide you through each topic in preparation for the test. Jump to specific video sections with the timeline tags and use the text transcripts to for an alternative review.
TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms - Chapter Objectives
The TExES Math 4-8 test assesses your knowledge and your comprehension of mathematic concepts and strategies as well as teaching competency to determine your readiness for middle school level teacher licensing in Texas. The topics in this chapter are part of the Patterns and Algebra domain, which makes up approximately 21% of the overall exam.
The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson test your understanding of these crucial concepts, while also enabling you to familiarize yourself with the types of questions you'll actually see on exam day. All of the 90 questions on the test are multiple-choice and are administered either by computer or on paper.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
5. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
6. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
8. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving Math Word Problems
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Overview of Exponents
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards