About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Fractions - Chapter Summary
These lessons help you brush up on crucial knowledge of fractions as part of your preparation for the TExES Math 4-8 exam. The brief videos get you exam-ready by reviewing topics such as different types of fractions, raising and reducing fractions, and relating fractions and decimals. Once you complete this chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Order and compare fractions
- Find the least common denominator
- Change between improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Convert mixed numbers to improper fractions
- Add and subtract like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Solve complex fractions
- Switch between decimals and fractions
Our highly qualified instructors use fun animations and graphics to guide your review of fractions. Text transcripts accompany each lesson and highlight key concepts. Use our timeline to jump to specific video sections where you may need to brush up your skills.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. How to Raise and Reduce Fractions
When working with fractions, you sometimes need to change your fraction to make it easier to work with. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can raise and reduce fractions to make your problem solving easier.
3. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
6. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
7. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
8. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
9. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
10. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
11. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
12. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
13. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In this lesson, learn how to convert decimals to fractions, and how to convert fractions to decimals. You will cement this knowledge in your mind by working through practice problems with both proper fractions and mixed numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-6: The Coordinate System
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards