About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to help you brush up on graphing piecewise functions for the TExES Math 4-8 exam. Our videos and text transcripts cover the following:
- Defining piecewise functions, with contextual examples
- Finding the domain of a piecewise function
- Graphing and translating piecewise functions
You may jump to specific video sections with the timeline tags. Use the accompanying text transcripts for an alternative review. Our qualified instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have about this material.
TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions - Chapter Objectives
The TExES Math 4-8 test assesses your knowledge and comprehension of middle school level mathematic concepts and strategies as well as your competency in teaching these fields to determine your readiness for middle grades math teacher licensing in the state of Texas. The topics in this chapter are part of the Patterns and Algebra domain, which makes up approximately 21% of the overall exam.
Use the self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson to check your understanding of these crucial concepts while also familiarizing yourself with the types of questions you'll actually see on the exam. All of the 90 questions on the exam are multiple-choice and are administered either on computer or on paper.
1. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
2. How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions
The domain of any function is all the values that x can be for that function. Piecewise functions are special functions that have different parts with unique rules for each part. This lesson will show you how to find the domain for piecewise functions.
3. How to Graph Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are specific functions that have more than one piece. There is a special trick to graphing these type of functions, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. Translating Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are two or more functions that only use part of a domain. If these functions need to be changed, we can translate them without even having to know the equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-6: The Coordinate System
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards