About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas - Chapter Summary
If you'll be sitting for the TExES Math 4-8 exam in the near future, you should brush up on math expressions and formulas. The chapter covers the order of operations and the rules for using parentheses. Use our lesson videos and text transcripts to determine whether you are able to:
- Describe the different uses for parentheses in math, including grouping and multiplication symbols
- Explain how to solve problems using the correct order of operations
- Identify easy tricks to remember the order of operations
- Show how to correctly write a math expression and label the various parts of the problem so that it is easy to solve
- Define the purpose of math formulas and how they are used to solve problems
Our instructors are qualified to assist you in improving your knowledge in the areas of mathematic expressions and formulas. Use our tagging system and jump to specific video sections to review the concepts you need the most help with. The text transcripts that accompany each video lesson can help you highlight key terminology or techniques.
Objectives of the TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas Chapter
The TExES Math 4-8 test is designed to test your knowledge and comprehension of mathematic concepts and strategies. The test will also measure your competency in order to determine your readiness for Texas state middle school teacher licensing. The topics in this chapter may be part of the Math Processes and Perspectives domain, which makes up approximately 10% of the overall exam, as well as the Number Concepts domain, which makes up approximately 16% of the exam.
Use our self-check assessments that accompany each lesson and test your understanding of these important concepts. You will also be familiarizing yourself with the types of questions you'll actually see on the exam. All of the 90 questions on the exam are multiple-choice and are administered via computer.
1. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
4. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-6: The Coordinate System
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards