About This Chapter
TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help you review the functions behind trigonometric graphs and how to build these graphs. Use our videos and text transcripts to refresh your knowledge of the following topics that may be covered on the exam:
- Explaining how to solve problems with sine, cosine and inverse trigonometric functions
- Demonstrating how cotangent, secant and cosecant are related to the sine, cosine and tangent functions
- Relating the concepts of average rate of change to the slope of the secant line and instantaneous rate of change to the slope of the tangent line
- Illustrating how to graph these functions on an x-y axis
Our qualified instructors will guide you through each topic in order to prepare you for the exam. Jump to specific video sections and use the accompanying text transcripts to quickly review the concepts you need the most help with.
Objectives of the TExES Math 4-8: Trigonometric Functions & Graphs Chapter
The TExES Math 4-8 test assesses your knowledge and comprehension of mathematical concepts and strategies as well as your teaching potential in order to determine your readiness for mid-elementary-level teacher licensing in the state of Texas. The topics in this chapter may be tested in two possible domains: Patterns and Algebra (21% of the exam) as well as Geometry and Measurement (21% of the exam).
The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson will test your understanding while also allowing you to familiarize yourself with the types of questions you'll actually see on the exam. All of the questions are multiple-choice and administered via computer.
1. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
2. Other Trigonometric Functions: Cotangent, Secant & Cosecant
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the trigonometric functions cotangent, secant, and cosecant are related to the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.
3. Graphing Sine and Cosine Transformations
What happens when we take the sine and cosine wave and transform them? They get bigger, smaller, faster and slower. Find out how in this lesson on sine and cosine wave transformations.
4. Graphing the Tangent Function: Amplitude, Period, Phase Shift & Vertical Shift
Take a look at how the graph of a tangent function and how we can transform it by making a few small changes to its equation. This video shows how to graph the original function and explains its transformations.
5. Graphing the Cosecant, Secant & Cotangent Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will learn what the graphs of the cosecant, secant, and cotangent trigonometric functions look like. You will also learn how to see if these graphs are shifted or transformed.
6. Slopes of Tangent & Secant Lines
Being able to find the slope of both tangent lines and secant lines allows us to calculate the rate of change of a curve. In this lesson, we learn how to do both, as well as learning that secant lines can only provide an average whereas tangent lines can be exact.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Mathematics 4-8 Exam (115): Study Guide & Review course
- About the TExES Math 4-8 Exam
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Arithmetic
- TExES Math 4-8: Number Theories & Computation Strategies
- TExES Math 4-8: Math Expressions & Formulas
- TExES Math 4-8: Decimals
- TExES Math 4-8: Fractions
- TExES Math 4-8: Percent Notation
- TExES Math 4-8: Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- TExES Math 4-8: Real Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Sequences & Series
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Exponentials & Logarithms
- TExES Math 4-8: Radical Expressions
- TExES Math 4-8: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Graphing Piecewise Functions
- TExES Math 4-8: Absolute Value Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- TExES Math 4-8: Imaginary & Complex Numbers
- TExES Math 4-8: Linear Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Quadratic Equations
- TExES Math 4-8: Measurement & the Metric System
- TExES Math 4-8: Properties of Geometric Shapes
- TExES Math 4-8: Triangles, Theorems & Proofs
- TExES Math 4-8: Three-Dimensional Geometric Figures
- TExES Math 4-6: The Coordinate System
- TExES Math 4-8: Basic Geometric Constructions
- TExES Math 4-8: Summarizing Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Organizing & Displaying Data
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Probability
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Processes & Perspectives
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Learning & Instruction
- TExES Math 4-8: Mathematical Assessments
- TExES Mathematics 4-8 Flashcards