About This Chapter
TExES Physical Science 6-12: Optics and Waves - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide a simple and easy way to reinforce your understanding of the principles, characteristics and types of waves and visible light for the TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam. You can review topics like the components of waves, properties of electromagnetic waves and the seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum when taking. You should have the ability to demonstrate the following once you have reviewed these video lessons:
- Detail reflection, the angle of incidence and curved surfaces
- Provide examples of diffuse reflection
- Outline resonance and the transmission of waves
- Explain transparent and opaque materials in electromagnetic waves
- Recognize Snell's law and the index of refraction
- Identify the relation of diffraction to sound and light
- Discuss wave propagation
- Describe technological applications of electromagnetic waves
Though lessons focusing on light, sound and other types of waves can be complex, these video lessons present the material in a fun and engaging way through the use of illustrated examples and easy-to-follow descriptions. You can practice for the actual TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam by answering the multiple-choice questions found in the quizzes accompanying each lesson.
1. Waves: Components, Types & Parameters
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what a wave is, describe the various types of waves and measure their features, like components and parameters. A short quiz will follow.
2. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
3. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
4. Reflection: Angle of Incidence and Curved Surfaces
How do waves reflect off of surfaces? How do we account for the images that we see reflected in various objects? Discover the answers to these questions as we investigate the rays and angles defining the law of reflection.
5. Diffuse Reflection: Definition, Examples & Surfaces
This lesson explores the law of reflection and how it applies to different surfaces and wave types. We'll learn the difference between specular and diffuse reflection and investigate how diffuse reflection affects our perception of sound and light.
6. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
This lesson describes how sound and light waves are affected by the principle of resonance. Learn how resonance occurs through the vibrations and resonant frequencies of objects. You'll investigate everyday examples of resonance and learn how to break a wine glass with your voice!
7. Transparent and Opaque Materials in Electromagnetic Waves
What makes an object transparent or opaque? How does light pass through some objects and not others? And what about the other types of electromagnetic waves? We'll investigate all these questions in this lesson about the transparency and opacity of materials.
8. Refraction & Dispersion: Definition, Snell's Law & Index of Refraction
Refraction explains why light bends in water. But, did you know that mathematical laws determine exactly how light waves are bent? In this lesson, we'll explore the mechanics of wave refraction, including Snell's Law and the index of refraction.
9. Diffraction: Relation to Sound & Light and Effects of Wavelength
This lesson explores diffraction as one of the many behaviors of waves. Learn how diffraction occurs in sound and light waves and how it is affected by the wavelength of a wave. Find out how animals use diffraction to communicate and how scientists use it to study molecules.
10. Wave Propagation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what wave propagation is, and describe the factors that affect the speed of wave propagation. A short quiz will follow.
11. Technological Applications of Electromagnetic Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what electromagnetic waves are and provide some applications of each type of electromagnetic wave. To see just how much you have learned, take the short quiz at the end of the lesson!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Physical Science 6-12 (237): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Overview of Physical Science
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Research & Processes
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Laboratory Equipment
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Systems
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Models
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Basics of Motion
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Fluid Mechanics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Newton's Laws of Motion
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Laws of Gravitation
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electrical Forces & Fields
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electricity & Magnetism
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electromagnetic Potential & Capacitance
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Work, Energy & Power
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Linear & Angular Momentum
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Heat, Energy & Thermodynamics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Quantum Physics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Basics of Matter
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Atomic Structure
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: The Periodic Table
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Properties of Gases
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Chemical Equations & Reactions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Chemical Reaction Equilibrium
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Properties of Solutions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Energy Transformations
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Radioactivity
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Oxidation & Reduction Reactions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Acids & Bases in Chemistry
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Teaching & Learning Science
- TExES Physical Science 6-12 Flashcards