About This Chapter
TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Research & Processes - Chapter Summary
Review all you need to know about scientific research before taking the TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam by studying this chapter. Our experienced instructors make it simple to brush up on research and processes, the scientific method, and ethical scientific investigations. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between qualitative and quantitative data in various research methods
- Interpret charts, tables and graphs of scientific data
- Outline significant figures and scientific notation
- Assess the quality of a research study
- Apply ethics to scientific investigations
- Discuss law, theory and hypothesis in science
- Use technology to communicate, model and gather scientific data
Help from an expert is just a few clicks away in the Dashboard if you struggle to understand any of these concepts. It's easy to navigate our videos using the timeline tags if you'd like to go back and review any of the material again. To make sure you're ready for exam day, take the quiz included with each lesson and the test at the end of the chapter.
1. What is Scientific Research?
This lesson will discuss important components of scientific research, including the scientific method, peer review, statistical significance, and more!
2. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
3. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
4. Hypothesis, Theory & Law in Science
In this lesson, learn how to define hypothesis, theory, and law in science. Then, discover the ways that these ideas are related to each other and how they help us to explain the universe around us.
5. Qualitative vs. Quantitative Data in Various Research Methods
Qualitative data and quantitative data are both useful in research, but it is important to understand the differences between the two. Learn how to differentiate the two types of data in this lesson.
6. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
7. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
8. Using Technology to Gather, Communicate & Model Scientific Data
In this lesson, we discuss how technology can be used to gather, interpret and present scientific data. Specifically, we discuss the use of computers and graphing calculators, probes, and simulations.
9. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
10. Validity and Reliability: How to Assess the Quality of a Research Study
Many psychologists and teachers complete research studies. How can you tell if a study was done well? This lesson will cover many criteria for a good quality study, including types of reliability and validity.
11. Applying Ethics to Scientific Investigations
In this lesson we will learn about ethics in science. We will look at why ethics is important and consider a few examples of how scientists need to act ethically in their experiments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Physical Science 6-12 (237): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Overview of Physical Science
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Laboratory Equipment
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Systems
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Scientific Models
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Basics of Motion
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Fluid Mechanics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Newton's Laws of Motion
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Laws of Gravitation
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electrical Forces & Fields
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electricity & Magnetism
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Electromagnetic Potential & Capacitance
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Work, Energy & Power
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Linear & Angular Momentum
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Heat, Energy & Thermodynamics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Optics & Waves
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Quantum Physics
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Basics of Matter
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Atomic Structure
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: The Periodic Table
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Properties of Gases
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Ionic & Covalent Bonds
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Chemical Equations & Reactions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Chemical Reaction Equilibrium
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Properties of Solutions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Energy Transformations
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Radioactivity
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Oxidation & Reduction Reactions
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Acids & Bases in Chemistry
- TExES Physical Science 6-12: Teaching & Learning Science
- TExES Physical Science 6-12 Flashcards