About This Chapter
TExES School Counselor: Differences & Issues in Human Development - Chapter Summary
Re-familiarize yourself with differences and issues in human development so that you're prepared for the TExES School Counselor test. These engaging video lessons will help you get ready to answer questions about:
- Abnormal human development:classification and diagnosis
- Social norms and social issues
- Developmental abnormalities; emotional and behavioral disorders
- Stress, resilience and adjustment difficulties
- Latchkey and self-care children
- Renzulli's triad
- Mood, eating, anxiety and substance-related disorders
After reviewing these developmental issues you can take the quizzes that go with each lesson. At the end of the chapter is a test that encourages you to put everything you've studied together in preparation for the TExES exam.
1. The Interrelationships of Developmental Domains
In this lesson, we'll identify the various domains of human development and explain the interrelationships between these domains to have a deeper understanding of the relationship between cognitive, social, emotional, physical, and language development.
2. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
3. Classification & Diagnosis of Psychological Disorders
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
4. What Are Social Norms? Definition & Examples in Infants, Children & Adults
In this lesson, you will gain an understanding of social norms and define related terms. You will also examine the effects of social norms in infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
5. Social Issues in Middle Childhood & Their Effects on Development
Children grow and develop in many ways. But sometimes issues at home or school can get in the way of development. In this lesson, we'll look at some issues that might contribute to developmental problems in a child's life.
6. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
7. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
8. Stress and Resilience in Middle Childhood
Childhood can be a stressful time. But what causes children to feel stress, and how can they deal with it? Watch this lesson to find out what factors impact how much stress a child feels, and what properties of resilience allow children to deal with stress.
9. Adjustment Difficulty in Middle Childhood
What happens when a child has social or emotional problems? In this lesson, we'll look at adjustment issues in middle childhood, including anxiety, school phobia and depression, and what parents can do to help their children.
10. Latchkey and Self-Care Children in Middle Childhood
Latchkey kids have to take care of themselves when they are home alone. But is this a good thing or a bad thing? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the benefits and drawbacks of self-care in middle childhood.
11. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
12. Advanced Cognitive Development and Renzulli's Triad
In this lesson, we will explore advanced cognitive development in terms of a gifted child. We will also define what it means to be gifted and Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
13. Mood Disorders: Depression, Persistent Depressive Disorder & Bipolar Disorder
Does feeling sad automatically mean someone is depressed? Are there different kinds of depression? What are mood disorders? This lesson will take a look at the answers to those questions.
14. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
15. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
When do we cross the boundary between natural worry and the debilitating types of anxiety associated with disorders? In this lesson, you'll explore some common anxiety disorders and their potential causes.
16. Substance Abuse & Substance Dependence: Definition & Characteristics
Many people have a drink now and then, but how do you know if you have a substance-related disorder? This lesson will help you learn the difference between just having a drink and having an actual problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES School Counselor (152): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES School Counselor Exam
- TExES School Counselor: Cognitive & Language Development
- TExES School Counselor: Social & Emotional Development
- TExES School Counselor: Physical & Motor Development
- TExES School Counselor: Counseling Theory
- TExES School Counselor: Roles & Responsibilities of the Counselor
- TExES School Counselor: Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- TExES School Counselor: Curriculum Development & Delivery
- TExES School Counselor: Assessment of Learning
- TExES School Counselor: Program Evaluation
- TExES School Counselor: Diversity & Equality Issues in School Counseling
- TExES School Counselor: Strategies for Diverse Learning Environments
- TExES School Counselor: College Counseling
- TExES School Counselor: Career Counseling
- TExES School Counselor: Individual & Group Counseling
- TExES School Counselor: Crisis Intervention
- TExES School Counselor: Goal Setting & Student Motivation
- TExES School Counselor: Effective Communication
- TExES School Counselor Flashcards