About This Chapter
TExES Science 7-12: Learning & Instruction - Chapter Summary
Designing your classroom and instructional materials to promote learning is of utmost importance as an educator. Get ideas and information on some effective teaching strategies in this TExES preparation chapter. The videos lessons in this chapter cover:
- Theories on how students learn scientific inquiry
- Considerations for teaching in a diverse classroom
- Promoting self-motivation and engagement in students
- Instructional strategies for encouraging student comprehension, higher-level thinking skills, problem solving and logical reasoning
- Teacher's part in developing school programs
- Designing learning environment to maximize student learning during scientific investigations
- Utilizing curriculum-based formal and informal assessments and using them as learning experiences for students
- Assessment results and evaluation
Understanding the guidelines and strategies in these lessons will help you succeed on the TExES Science 7-12 exam, in addition to providing you with useful instructional strategies to use for the duration of your teaching career. After watching the video lessons, you can review the materials covered in this chapter by using the full video transcripts as hard-copy study material, if needed. Self-assess material comprehension and practice for TExES test questions by taking the lesson quizzes and chapter exam.
TExES Science 7-12: Learning & Instruction Chapter Objectives
The Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Science 7-12 exam is formatted to evaluate an applicant's competence in science-related knowledge and skills to certify his/her ability to teach that subject according to Texas state standards in grades 7-12. This is a computer-administered test with 140 multiple-choice questions. Completion is required within five hours. Not all questions on this exam are scored and the number of non-scoring questions varies.
The Learning and Instruction chapter of this study guide course covers the state standards that make up approximately 5% of the TExES Science 7-12 exam questions. After thoroughly examining the information in this chapter, you will be well prepared for these questions and how to implement the described strategies in your classroom.
1. Influences on How Students Understand Scientific Inquiry
In this lesson, we will explore the development of scientific thinking as we learn ways for teachers to support students as they develop focused questions, make explorations, and articulate their findings.
2. Strategies for Teaching in a Diverse Classroom
The classroom is getting more diverse every day. Learn how to teach effectively in a diverse classroom, and give every student a chance to succeed. See how effective this lesson was by taking a quiz.
3. How to Encourage Student Self-Motivation & Engagement
The two of the most important factors in educational success are the student's motivation and level of engagement in the academic environment. In this lesson, we will explore ways to encourage student self-motivation and engagement.
4. Using Instructional Strategies to Aid in Student Comprehension
In this lesson we will examine some teaching strategies for teachers to use before, during, and after reading a selection to help students better comprehend new information.
5. The Teacher's Role in Developing the Total School Program
As a teacher, you bring curriculum plans and objectives to life for your students. In this lesson, we will explore your role in developing powerful and comprehensive instructional programs that incorporate school-wide objectives and the statewide curriculum.
6. Learning Environments Focused on Scientific Investigation
Learn about why it's useful to teach through scientific investigation. Find out about the benefits and the challenges. Take a quiz to see what you can remember.
7. Designing & Conducting Inquiry-Based Scientific Investigations
In this lesson you'll be exploring the exciting world of inquiry-based learning in science. If you're ready to have your students lead the lessons and create their own questions about the world, this is the place to start.
8. Promoting Logical Reasoning & Scientific Problem Solving in Students
Logical reasoning is a practical skill students need to learn in order to be successful in math and science courses. In this lesson, we will look at the challenges to teaching logical reasoning. Additionally, we will look at teaching logic in the context of science.
9. Designing & Using Assessments Based on Curriculum
Assessments based on curriculum tend to deliver consistent, effective results for a given curriculum design. In this lesson we will discuss the design of curriculum-based assessments and how to use them.
10. Maximizing the Student's Experience with Assessments
In this lesson, we will discuss three common types of assessments, what they entail and how to administer them in order to maximize the student's learning experience. The lesson will be broad and universal so that these assessment types will be useful for any subject.
11. Using Formal & Informal Assessments to Test Scientific Inquiry
Scientific inquiry is an important skill for learners at all grade levels. In order to assess this type of learning, science educators should use a mixture of formal and informal assessments. Learn about characteristics and examples of each type.
12. How to Evaluate Assessment Instruments & Their Results
Assessments play a big part in the decision-making process of educators. In this lesson, we will look at key characteristics such as validity, reliability and variability, and discuss how they can help educators better evaluate the effectiveness of their instruments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Science 7-12 (236): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Science 7-12 Exam
- TExES Science 7-12: Scientific Inquiry & Processes
- TExES Science 7-12: Motion
- TExES Science 7-12: Fluid Mechanics
- TExES Science 7-12: Newton's Laws
- TExES Science 7-12: Oscillations
- TExES Science 7-12: Laws of Gravitation
- TExES Science 7-12: Electrical Forces & Fields
- TExES Science 7-12: Electricity & Magnetism
- TExES Science 7-12: Potential & Capacitance
- TExES Science 7-12: Work, Energy & Power
- TExES Science 7-12: Linear & Angular Momentum
- TExES Science 7-12: Thermodynamics
- TExES Science 7-12: Optics & Waves
- TExES Science 7-12: Quantum Physics
- TExES Science 7-12: Matter & Atomic Structure
- TExES Science 7-12: Periodicity
- TExES Science 7-12: Properties of Gases
- TExES Science 7-12: Chemical Bonding
- TExES Science 7-12: Chemical Equations & Stoichiometry
- TExES Science 7-12: Equilibrium
- TExES Science 7-12: Properties of Solutions
- TExES Science 7-12: Energy Transformations
- TExES Science 7-12: Radioactivity
- TExES Science 7-12: Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
- TExES Science 7-12: Acid-Base Chemistry
- TExES Science 7-12: Organic Compounds
- TExES Science 7-12: Cell Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Prokaryotic & Eukaryotic Cells
- TExES Science 7-12: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Cells
- TExES Science 7-12: Nucleic Acids & Enzymes
- TExES Science 7-12: Transcription & Translation
- TExES Science 7-12: Cell Reproduction & Division
- TExES Science 7-12: Metabolic Biochemistry
- TExES Science 7-12: Basic Genetics
- TExES Science 7-12: DNA Replication
- TExES Science 7-12: Theory of Biological Evolution
- TExES Science 7-12: Evolutionary Change on Earth
- TExES Science 7-12: Taxonomic Systems
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- TExES Science 7-12: Animal Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Human Organ Systems
- TExES Science 7-12: Human Reproduction & Development
- TExES Science 7-12: Homeostasis of Organisms
- TExES Science 7-12: Biology & Behavior
- TExES Science 7-12: Ecosystems & Ecological Cycles
- TExES Science 7-12: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- TExES Science 7-12: Minerals & Rocks
- TExES Science 7-12: Earth's Changing Surfaces
- TExES Science 7-12: Geologic Time
- TExES Science 7-12: The Hydrosphere
- TExES Science 7-12: Solar System & the Universe
- TExES Science 7-12: The Atmosphere
- TExES Science 7-12: Weather & Storms
- TExES Science 7-12 Flashcards