About This Chapter
TExES Science 7-12: The Hydrosphere - Chapter Summary
Reinforce what you remember and perhaps acquire some new information as you work through these lessons on Earth's fresh and salt water ecosystems. Review how waves form, tectonic factors that affect ocean movements and much more, and apply this information to your study strategy as you prepare for the TExES Science 7-12 exam. The lessons include the following material and more:
- How water is distributed across the earth
- Components and processes of the water cycle
- Physical and chemical properties and composition of water
- How hydrologic systems are measured
- Ocean circulation, waves and zones
- Formation and features of oceanic ridges and basins
De-stress and relax while you view these refreshingly entertaining, yet comprehensive and informative lessons. Short quizzes provide a quick check-up, and you can move back and forth between the quizzes and the videos using the embedded links in each quiz. If you're already familiar with part of a lesson, use the timeline to jump directly to the topic you're looking for without having to replay the whole video.
1. Ecosystems of Oceans and Freshwater: Biological Diversity and Water
In this lesson, you'll learn about the biodiversity of ecosystems based on water. You will discover that marine, freshwater and a mixture of salt and freshwater create very different ecosystems, which in turn influence the amount of biodiversity that is found in these habitats.
2. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
3. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
4. Chemical Composition & Physical Attributes of Fresh, Brackish & Salt Water
Discover the differences between fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Learn about their chemical and physical features. Afterward, see how well you know the differences by taking a quiz.
5. Oceans: Facts & Information
Over fifty percent of the world's population lives near a coastline. The oceans of the world affect our everyday lives, from recreation to resources, to climate. Learn some fun facts about this unique feature of our planet!
6. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
7. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
8. Characteristics of Different Ocean Zones
The oceans can be divided into horizontal and vertical zones. These divisions help us better understand the characteristics of these vast bodies of water. Learn what these zones are in this lesson.
9. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
10. Oceanic Ridge System: Formation & Distribution
The oceanic ridge system is a continuous underwater mountain range with parts found in every ocean of the world. The ridge system is created when magma rising between diverging plates of the lithosphere cools and forms a new layer of crust.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Science 7-12 (236): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Science 7-12 Exam
- TExES Science 7-12: Scientific Inquiry & Processes
- TExES Science 7-12: Motion
- TExES Science 7-12: Fluid Mechanics
- TExES Science 7-12: Newton's Laws
- TExES Science 7-12: Oscillations
- TExES Science 7-12: Laws of Gravitation
- TExES Science 7-12: Electrical Forces & Fields
- TExES Science 7-12: Electricity & Magnetism
- TExES Science 7-12: Potential & Capacitance
- TExES Science 7-12: Work, Energy & Power
- TExES Science 7-12: Linear & Angular Momentum
- TExES Science 7-12: Thermodynamics
- TExES Science 7-12: Optics & Waves
- TExES Science 7-12: Quantum Physics
- TExES Science 7-12: Matter & Atomic Structure
- TExES Science 7-12: Periodicity
- TExES Science 7-12: Properties of Gases
- TExES Science 7-12: Chemical Bonding
- TExES Science 7-12: Chemical Equations & Stoichiometry
- TExES Science 7-12: Equilibrium
- TExES Science 7-12: Properties of Solutions
- TExES Science 7-12: Energy Transformations
- TExES Science 7-12: Radioactivity
- TExES Science 7-12: Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
- TExES Science 7-12: Acid-Base Chemistry
- TExES Science 7-12: Organic Compounds
- TExES Science 7-12: Cell Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Prokaryotic & Eukaryotic Cells
- TExES Science 7-12: Protists, Fungi & Viruses
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Cells
- TExES Science 7-12: Nucleic Acids & Enzymes
- TExES Science 7-12: Transcription & Translation
- TExES Science 7-12: Cell Reproduction & Division
- TExES Science 7-12: Metabolic Biochemistry
- TExES Science 7-12: Basic Genetics
- TExES Science 7-12: DNA Replication
- TExES Science 7-12: Theory of Biological Evolution
- TExES Science 7-12: Evolutionary Change on Earth
- TExES Science 7-12: Taxonomic Systems
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Plant Reproduction & Growth
- TExES Science 7-12: Animal Biology
- TExES Science 7-12: Human Organ Systems
- TExES Science 7-12: Human Reproduction & Development
- TExES Science 7-12: Homeostasis of Organisms
- TExES Science 7-12: Biology & Behavior
- TExES Science 7-12: Ecosystems & Ecological Cycles
- TExES Science 7-12: Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- TExES Science 7-12: Minerals & Rocks
- TExES Science 7-12: Earth's Changing Surfaces
- TExES Science 7-12: Geologic Time
- TExES Science 7-12: Solar System & the Universe
- TExES Science 7-12: The Atmosphere
- TExES Science 7-12: Weather & Storms
- TExES Science 7-12: Learning & Instruction
- TExES Science 7-12 Flashcards