About This Chapter
TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Professional Development - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the TExMaT Master Reading Teacher examination by watching the detailed video lessons in this chapter. They outline how important it is to participate in professional development organizations and to collaborate with other educators for the good of students. This chapter focuses on how and why you should:
- Remain informed of new trends in education
- Establish relationships with other education specialists
- Work together with school stakeholders
- Develop a critical friends group
- Provide mentoring for students
- Improve student literacy rates
What you learn through this chapter can be applied to questions on the TExMaT Master Reading Teacher examination. The video lessons are led by accomplished educators who will answer your submitted questions on professional development. You can study interactively and still make time for your professional duties. Re-watch parts of the lessons or refer to the written transcripts if necessary. Take the self-assessment quizzes to test your knowledge.
1. Importance of Professional Development for Master Reading Teachers
In recent years, public education has increased its focus on professional development and creating deep networks of support within the school system. An integral member of this is the Master Reading Teacher. In this lesson, you'll have a chance to explore this role, and test your own understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Building Collaborative Relationships Between Organizations & Their Stakeholders
Companies need to invest time in building collaborative relationships between organizations and their stakeholders. In this lesson, you will learn about stakeholder engagement stages.
3. Collaborating with Teachers & Literacy Specialists
Collaboration between teachers and literacy specialists creates a unified front for the benefit of students. By coordinating the efforts of talented professionals, students are supported throughout the learning process.
4. Collaborating with Colleagues to Improve Student Learning
As a teacher, you are not alone. You have a variety of other professionals to call upon to help improve student learning. In this lesson, we look at how to leverage their expertise to improve outcomes.
5. How to Implement a Critical Friends Group
Professional development is very important for educators. In this lesson, we will explore a professional development program called the Critical Friends Group, and discover how to use it. Then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. How Teacher Mentoring Can Improve Student Learning
The first year of teaching is expected to be difficult, stressful, and overwhelming. But does it have to be? In this lesson, we are going to check out programs designed to make the first year much more pleasant through the use of teacher mentoring.
7. How to Improve Student Literacy With School Reading Programs
Literacy skills are some of the most important things we can teach, so knowing how to do this is important. In this lesson we are going to check out a few school reading programs and discover how to implement them for various grade levels.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMaT Master Reading Teacher (085): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Alphabetic Principles
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Vocabulary & Comprehension Development
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Word Analysis
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Understanding Written Passages
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Comprehension Strategies
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Content Analysis
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Oral Language Skills
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Instructional Design & Delivery
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Interrelated Components
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Selecting Materials & Resources
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Instructional Assessment
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Role of the Master Teacher
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher Flashcards