About This Chapter
TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Vocabulary & Comprehension Development - Chapter Summary
Our instructors will present multiple strategies for teaching vocabulary in your classroom, including suggestions for working with ELL students. You'll also review the techniques for helping your students use context to determine word meaning. Prepare to teach your students to recognize context clues and use their prior knowledge to figure out the meaning of new words as you go through the lessons. You will also learn ways to help your students interpret figures of speech in context.
These lessons will prepare you for TExMaT Master Reading Teacher (MRT) exam questions regarding:
- Teaching vocabulary to your class, including ELL students
- Enhancing the classroom experience with fun new ways to introduce new vocabulary
- Defining context and understand its applications
- Instructing your students in the use of context to determine word meanings and figures of speech
Our short, engaging video lessons are taught by experienced instructors, and they feature video tags for quick and easy topic review as you prepare for the MRT exam. You can also view the transcript of the lesson directly below the video. Key terms link to definitions and examples. If you have questions, our subject-matter experts are available to help. After you complete each lesson, take the self-assessment quiz to confirm your mastery of the material.
Objectives of the TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Vocabulary & Comprehension Development Chapter
The TExMaT Master Reading Teacher test assesses your knowledge and understanding of the components of reading, including assessment, instruction, identification of reading difficulties and research and facilitation, across all development levels EC-12. The topics in the Vocabulary & Comprehension Development chapter are part of Domain I - Foundations of Reading Knowledge and Instruction - which comprises approximately 31% of the Master Reading Teacher exam.
The TExMaT Master Reading Teacher exam consists of 90 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response case study assignment. To help you prepare, the self-assessment quizzes at the end of the lessons will introduce you to the types of questions you will encounter on the test and will allow you to test your understanding of the material as you study.
1. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
2. How to Teach New Vocabulary
This lesson describes how to introduce a new vocabulary word and several sample activities for reinforcing the meanings of the terms. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Fun Ways to Teach Vocabulary Words
Teaching vocabulary words to students doesn't have to be boring and repetitive. In this lesson, you will learn methods to energize your classroom during vocabulary instruction. Afterwards, test your new knowledge with our quiz!
4. Teaching Vocabulary to ELL Students
Using a translator or carrying a translating device is not realistic when learning English as a second language. In this lesson, you'll learn how to strategically teach vocabulary to English language learners.
5. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
6. What is Context? - Definition & Application
In writing, context is the information surrounding the information. Without context, information can be misinterpreted; with context, information can be understood.
7. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
8. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
9. Context Clue: Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in understanding all components of context clues found in literature and how they can be applied to your writing. Learn more about context clues in this lesson.
10. Interpreting Figures of Speech in Context
Figures of speech can add humor or drama to any situation, but you have to understand what they mean in order to connect the dots. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to interpret figures of speech, such as verbal irony, puns, idioms, and hyperbole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMaT Master Reading Teacher (085): Practice & Study Guide course
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Alphabetic Principles
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Word Analysis
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Understanding Written Passages
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Comprehension Strategies
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Content Analysis
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Oral Language Skills
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Instructional Design & Delivery
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Interrelated Components
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Selecting Materials & Resources
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Instructional Assessment
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Role of the Master Teacher
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher: Professional Development
- TExMaT Master Reading Teacher Flashcards