About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our AP European History Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the Age of Expansion. There is no faster or easier way to learn about European expansion in the New World. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about Portuguese and Spanish empires and explorers, the Conquistadores and the importance of the compass.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a history curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and an Age of Expansion unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Age of Expansion Unit Objectives:
- Learn how the Portuguese and Spanish empires expanded into the Americas and Asia.
- Understand how the compass and navigational technologies enhanced exploration.
- Define the goals and discoveries of the great explorers from Portugal and Spain.
- Discuss Spain's violent conquest of the Central and South American peoples.
- Describe Bartolome De las Casas' efforts to stop Spanish aggression in the New World.
1. Portuguese and Spanish Empires: Growth in the New World & Asia
This lesson will explore the motivations, foundations, and growth of the Portuguese and Spanish empires in the New World and Asia. We will also meet a few famous Portuguese and Spanish explorers.
2. How the Compass Helped Columbus
This lesson will explore the use of the compass during Columbus' voyages to the New World. It will highlight the navigational techniques of dead reckoning and celestial navigation. It will also review the voyages of Columbus.
3. Great Explorers of Spain and Portugal: Aims & Discoveries
This lesson will focus on the New World explorations of Spain and Portugal. It will list explorers from both of these countries while also highlighting the motivations behind European exploration.
4. Conquistadores: Spanish Conquests of South & Central America
In this lesson, we will study the Spanish conquistadores who marched through the New World and helped to establish Spain's empire. We will focus especially on the conquistadores of South and Central America.
5. Bartolome de las Casas: Destruction of the Amerindians
In this lesson, we will meet Bartolome de las Casas, a 16th century priest and scholar who fought for the rights and dignity of Amerindians in the Spanish colonies of the New World.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Homeschool Curriculum course
- AP European History - The Renaissance Era: Homeschool Curriculum
- Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature: Homeschool Curriculum
- Reformation Roots & Teachings: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Reformation's Effects Across Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Rise of Monarchical Nation States: Homeschool Curriculum
- English History - 1450 to 1700: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- The Napoleonic Empire: Homeschool Curriculum
- 19th Century Revolutionary Movements: Homeschool Curriculum
- The First Industrial Revolution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - 1871 to 1914: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Homeschool Curriculum
- Russia After World War I: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - World War II: Homeschool Curriculum
- Post-War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Homeschool Curriculum
- Integration - Europe after the Soviet Union: Homeschool Curriculum
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP Exam Writing Strategies: Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Develop & Write an AP Exam Essay: Homeschool Curriculum