About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Age of Nationalism chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||The Crimean War: Causes and Consequences||Examination of the Crimean War as one of a series of conflicts that weakened Austria and Russia|
|Tuesday||Establishment of the Kingdom of Italy and Unification of Germany||Events and political leaders that led to the unification of Italy; Otto Von Bismarck's role in the formation of the German Empire or Second Reich|
|Wednesday||Creation of Austria-Hungary||Collapse of the Austrian Empire and establishment of a dual monarchy|
|Thursday||Russia Under Tsar Alexander II||Examples and impact of Alexander's liberal reform agenda on Russia|
|Friday||North America and Japan during the Age of Nationalism||The American Civil War and its influence on Europe; uniting of individual British colonies into the Canadian Confederation and the westernization of Japan, including the role of Commodore Perry|
1. The Crimean War: Summary, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we explore the Crimean War of 1854-1856 between Russia and the Ottoman Empire, France, and Great Britain. It is often considered one of the more bungled military campaigns in recent Western history.
2. The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders
In this lesson, we explore the piecemeal unification of Italy which took place in the 19th century. Created in part by the brilliant statesmen Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italy as we know it did not fully take shape until 1870.
3. The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we explore the unification of Germany in the 1860s and 1870s, largely accomplished through the statecraft of the Chancellor of Prussia and later Germany, Otto von Bismarck.
4. Creation of the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the 19th-century compromise between the Austrian monarchy and the ruling Magyar families of Hungary that created the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary.
5. Reforms in Russia Under Tsar Alexander II: Examples & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the reforms of Tsar Alexander II in 19th-century Russia. Alexander freed the Russian serfs and accelerated the industrialization of Russia before his 1881 assassination.
6. North America: the American Civil War and Dominion of Canada
In this lesson, we explore the American Civil War's effects on European geopolitics and the remotely connected creation of the Dominion of Canada only a few years after the war's close.
7. The Westernization of Japan During the Meiji Era
In this lesson, we explore the opening of Japan to Western trade by Commodore Matthew Perry in the mid-18th century. We'll then look at the ensuing westernization of the country in the Meiji period.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Western Civilization II Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Lesson Plans for Absolutism in Western Europe
- Power Shifts in Eastern Europe Lesson Plans
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion Lesson Plans
- Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment Lesson Plans
- Napoleon & the French Revolution Lesson Plans
- Industrialization Lesson Plans
- Political Developments Lesson Plans
- European Life & Trends (1850-1914) Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Imperialism in the 19th - 20th Centuries
- World War I (1914-1919) Lesson Plans
- Between the World Wars (1919-1939) Lesson Plans
- World War II (1939-1945) Lesson Plans
- Western Civilization Since 1945 Lesson Plans