About This Chapter
The Age of Nationalism - Chapter Summary
Learn about great political events and changes in Western civilization that happened during the 19th Century. From the Crimean War to the unification of Austria and Hungary, reforms in Russia and the opening of Japan to the West, these changes had lasting effect and influenced many events in the 20th Century. When you have finished this chapter you will know about:
- The Crimean War
- Italian unification
- German unification
- The creation of Austria-Hungary
- Reforms during the reign of Tsar Alexander II
- The westernization of Japan
Our video-based lessons are designed to help maximize your comprehension of the information presented with a multiple-exposure approach. The videos can be reviewed either wholly or in-part with our interactive timeline feature. The lessons come with a written transcript to give you a chance to see the information a different way. Our instructors are available to answer your questions, and the lesson quizzes and practice exams will give you an opportunity to test your knowledge retention.
1. The Crimean War: Summary, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we explore the Crimean War of 1854-1856 between Russia and the Ottoman Empire, France, and Great Britain. It is often considered one of the more bungled military campaigns in recent Western history.
2. The Unification of Italy: Summary, Timeline & Leaders
In this lesson, we explore the piecemeal unification of Italy which took place in the 19th century. Created in part by the brilliant statesmen Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italy as we know it did not fully take shape until 1870.
3. The Unification of Germany: Summary, Timeline & Events
In this lesson, we explore the unification of Germany in the 1860s and 1870s, largely accomplished through the statecraft of the Chancellor of Prussia and later Germany, Otto von Bismarck.
4. Creation of the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the 19th-century compromise between the Austrian monarchy and the ruling Magyar families of Hungary that created the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary.
5. Reforms in Russia Under Tsar Alexander II: Examples & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the reforms of Tsar Alexander II in 19th-century Russia. Alexander freed the Russian serfs and accelerated the industrialization of Russia before his 1881 assassination.
6. The Westernization of Japan During the Meiji Era
In this lesson, we explore the opening of Japan to Western trade by Commodore Matthew Perry in the mid-18th century. We'll then look at the ensuing westernization of the country in the Meiji period.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Middle Level Social Studies (CEOE) (027): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mesopotamian, Egyptian & Kush Civilizations
- Overview & History of Ancient Greece
- Roman Republic & Roman Empire
- Early West African Culture & Development
- History of the Dark Ages
- History of the Medieval Warm Period
- Art & Culture in the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- European Religion & Politics During the Reformation
- Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- European Life & Trends
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- The Great War (1914-1919)
- History Between World Wars
- Early American Civilizations
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- America & World War II
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- America in the 1970s
- The 1980s in America
- Oklahoma's Culture, History & Geography
- Introduction to American Government
- Civil Rights in the U.S.
- Elections & Electoral Systems
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth
- Overview of Microeconomics
- Overview of Macroeconomics
- Introduction to Geography
- Land Resources Geography
- The Relationship Between Humans and the Environment
- Culture, Socialization & Social Interaction
- Analyzing Historical Information
- Applying Social Study Skills
- OSAT Middle Level Social Studies (CEOE) (027) Flashcards