About This Chapter
The Aging Endocrine and Reproductive Systems - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This lesson is designed to provide you with an overview of the age-related changes that affect our hormonal systems and our ability to produce children. You'll learn how the different glands found in the endocrine system, such as the pituitary and thyroid glands, release hormones into our bloodstreams and control metabolism, mood and sexual function, among other activities.
Both the female and male reproductive systems will also be covered, with the latter emphasizing the role of the ductus deferens and epididymus in reproduction. You'll also find out about the gradual and major hormonal changes that affect aging adults. When you've completed this chapter, you should be able to identify and discuss the following:
- The cells and glands that make up the endocrine system
- The parts and functions of both the female and male reproductive systems
- Hormone function and production in late adulthood
- How changes in the reproductive systems affect the chemical and physical functions of men and women
|Endocrine System||Define the parts and function of the endocrine system.|
|Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs and Anatomy||Define the parts of the male reproductive system and how they create and transport sperm and seminal fluid. Identify the following keywords: ampulla, ductus deferens, epididymus, ejaculatory duct, testis and urethra.|
|Reproductive Changes in Aging Men||Describe the reproductive changes that occur in men, including their psychological effects.|
|Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy||Define the parts of the female reproductive anatomy and how they create and transport gametes and implant the embryo. Identify the following keywords: cervix, ovary, ovarian follicle, uterine tubes, uterus and vagina.|
|Reproductive Changes in Aging Women||Discuss the reproductive changes that occur in women, including their psychological effects.|
1. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
2. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
3. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
4. Male and Female Climacteric Changes in Human Development
During middle age, people's ability to reproduce declines and sometimes even stops. In this lesson, we'll look at climacteric and menopause, in addition to what it's like to go through climacteric changes for both men and women.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 108: Psychology of Adulthood and Aging course
- Introduction to Adult Development and Aging
- Personality & Aging
- Health of the Aging Population
- The Aging Brain and Nervous System
- Effects of Aging on Skin & Body Build
- Effects of Aging on the Sensory System
- Effects of Aging on the Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
- Chronic Conditions of the Aging Population
- Changes to Memory & Attention with Age
- Cognitive Development & Aging
- Overview of Intelligence, Wisdom & Creativity
- Mental Health and Lifespan Development Disorders
- Cognitive, Behavioral & Psychological Assessments
- Age-Related Anxiety Disorders
- Substance Abuse Among Aging Populations
- Cognitive Disorders Related to Aging
- Mood & Stress Disorders Affecting the Aging Population
- Treatment Methods for Psychological Disorders in Adults
- Relationships in Adulthood
- Career Changes Over the Lifespan
- Retirement and Leisure in Adulthood
- Overview of Death, Dying & Bereavement
- Studying for Psychology 108