About This Chapter
The Aging Population and Personal Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The lessons in this chapter cover the aging process and the accompanying physical, psychological and emotional changes. These videos explore topics such as the final stage of Erik Erikson's Theory of Psychosocial Development, which is ego integrity vs. despair during later life. You'll look at various scientific theories regarding aging, examine changes in health and fitness and learn about the average lifespan and what influences it. By the end of this chapter, you should have an understanding of:
- Age-related changes in the immune system
- Aging and disease, including environmental influences on aging
- Sexuality in later adulthood
- Factors that influence longevity
- Disability issues in older adults
|Ego Integrity vs. Despair||This lesson examines Erikson's final stage of development, which considers how the aging person views his life.|
|Physical, Psychological and Emotional Changes in Adults||Learn to recognize common changes that occur later in life.|
|Theories of Aging: Rate-of-Living, Cellular and Programmed -Cell-Death||Explore various theories about why and at what rate organisms age.|
|Health and Illness of the Aging Population: Definition and Trends||Learn about age-related changes to the immune system and explain developmental trends in chronic and acute diseases.|
|Aging vs. Disease: Differences and Examples||Learn to distinguish between changes caused by aging and those caused by disease. This lesson also covers primary and secondary aging as well as environmental factors.|
|Health, Fitness and Sexuality in Late Adulthood||Examine concerns about health and fitness and changes in sexuality.|
|Human Longevity: The Influence of Genetic and Environmental Factors||This lesson looks at the average and the maximum longevity in humans as well as genetic and environmental factors that may influence length of life.|
|Functional Health and Disability: Definition and Major Issues||See how aging can lead to functional disabilities in regards to activities of daily living.|
1. Ego Integrity vs. Despair
During late adulthood, many people reflect on their lives. In this lesson, we'll examine the crisis of ego identity versus despair that people face in later life, including the three tasks that must be accomplished to reach ego identity.
2. Physical, Psychological and Emotional Changes in Adults
As an adult you establish a unique identity, reach the proverbial midlife crisis, and eventually succumb to old age. In this lesson, learn about the physical, psychological, and emotional changes that take place along this journey.
3. Theories of Aging: Rate-of-Living, Cellular & Programmed-Cell-Death
This lesson focuses on various theories of how living cells age and die, resulting in the people with those cells aging and dying. We'll look at broad definitions, as well as some of the popular sub-theories.
4. Health & Illness of the Aging Population: Definition & Trends
In this lesson, we will examine the changes that occurs to the immune system as a person ages. In addition to this, we examine the difference between what it means to be healthy and what it means to be ill, as well as different types of diseases that may afflict you.
5. Aging vs. Disease: Differences & Examples
This lesson looks into the differentiation between what is considered normal, or primary, aging and what is considered abnormal, or secondary, aging. In addition, we will look at how an often misunderstood disease fits into this.
6. Health, Fitness, and Sexuality in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change. But what does that mean in terms of health, fitness, and sexuality? Watch this lesson for information on how diet and exercise impact health and how sexuality changes in late life.
7. Human Longevity: The Influence of Genetic & Environmental Factors
Here we will discuss the human life span, with specific interest in average life span by gender, as well as what factors are likely contribute to lengthening and shortening a life span.
8. Functional Health & Disability: Definition & Major Issues
This lesson looks at the functional health issues of the mechanical system. In other words, we examine the human body, why it fails and what happens when it does.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cardiovascular, Respiratory, & Endocrine Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards